• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you like to get XP?

How do you like to get XP?

• I prefer to get xp "by the book"

Votes: 78 38.8%
  • I prefer to get xp by a DM's house rule formula

Votes: 55 27.4%
  • I prefer to not get xp at all, but rather level up a certain times

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • I prefer starting at 20th level and not worrying about xp

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 28 13.9%

The_Gneech

Explorer
Hmm ... what do I click for "by killing monsters and taking their stuff?"

There should be a "lamentations of their women" option, too.

-The Gneech :cool:

MonsterMash

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Hmm ... what do I click for "by killing monsters and taking their stuff?"

There should be a "lamentations of their women" option, too.

-The Gneech :cool:
When I'm DMing I'll give extra XP for players acting out dancing on their fallen opponents graves.
;)

I voted for the DM's house ruled version as that's what I use with my players so I'm happy to take it that way!

Henry

Autoexreginated
As a player, I don't care. If the DM decides that he wants us levelling at a certain rate, then more power to him. In fact, I've even argued AGAINST levelling up before, because I was having too much fun at the given level. (This has, of course, made me the darling of the other players at the gaming table before. :)) As long as I can get XP in such a way as to make magic items, if that's part of the game, I'm happy.

As a DM, I vary by campaign, and sometimes even by session. If I have time, I'll calc XP the old-fashioned way, since I only use CR's and EL's to gauge challenge when making the adventure, not to gauge XP at that time.

If I'm running late on a session, and we need to wrap up NOW, I'll eyeball an estimate based on how much they accomplished. If they putzed around and ran from standard goblins, they get less than if they pulled off a rescue, killed the goblin king, and sacked the treasure vault. :)

drothgery

First Post
As a player, I don't care how the DM calcutes XP, as long as it seems like it's fair, and we don't spend too much time without leveling up. As a DM in (non-D&D 3.x) PBP games, I've tended to give out enough XP to make level at the conclusion of an adventure (or a significant sub-component of a large adventure); I'd probably do the same thing in a tabletop game unless some characters needed smaller chunks of XP (to create items, or power spells/powers with an XP cost, for example).

KB9JMQ

First Post
As a player I don't really care.
As a DM I just level characters up about every 8-12 encounters based on difficulty.

Shayd3000

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
No formula at all, really. Story, problem-solving, and RP awards, all the way.

When running a game, I figure a rough estimate of how fast I want the group to advance, and then modify that amount of XP based on the above criteria. I prefer the same when playing in a game.

This is how I do it. Our group just finished the "story path" modules that began with Sunless Citadel, and while I began by using the "by the book" method, I quickly found that the characters were not advancing as they shoudl for the adventures and that sometimes they would advance in "fits and starts"...a lot all at once, then not at all for a while. So I devised my own method of awarding experience, and found that it worked much better - and I also found that the characters were better prepared for encounters as they came upon them.

George

Crothian

First Post
Other

let the players discuss among themselves how much XP they feel the sessions are worth based on what they killed, did, and succeeded at.

iLoVeKobolds

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
No formula at all, really. Story, problem-solving, and RP awards, all the way.

This is definitely the way I prefer to earn xp. I like getting into the character and developing a good story.
Don't get me wrong though, a good slashfest is always an option. (see quote below) :]

shilsen

Adventurer
As a player, I don't care, but if I had to pick a method, I'd prefer the DM to not use any formula but simply have us advance at the rate that suits his game. Unsurprisingly, that's what I do as a DM :)

Remove ads