How Do You Like Your Extents of Progression?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It doesn't feel like either an interesting use of the world or a good story to me to have Superman spend lots and lots of time going after low powered villains who have no defense against his super speed, super brain, or super vision. It does feel like a good panel or two to have happen now and then though (usually while something else is happening in the thought balloons or conversation with someone else). Similarly for James Bond going after small time hoods.
Well, that's gamers for you. If you let them they will optimize the fun out of any game. If grinding rats would get them to level 20 efficiently, they would do so. Again, it depends on what your priorities are. Simulating a living world (that, by definition, includes boring outcomes) or emulating a story (that, by definition, precludes boring outcomes).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For me it's this...
"Zero to Hero" -- your character starts out as a nobody and eventually rises to the heights of power (in the context of the setting). From farm boy to demi-god, or neglected orphan to master wizard quidditch champion.
...except maybe without the highest end of that (in the character's actual played career), and a bit more time spent at the near-zero end than most systems tend to provide.

To @overgeeked 's point: I'm far more interested in creating a world that feels real than in telling a story, because I know that if I create a good enough world to engage the players the stories will come simply through what they do with (or to!) said world.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
For me it's this...

...except maybe without the highest end of that (in the character's actual played career), and a bit more time spent at the near-zero end than most systems tend to provide.

To @overgeeked 's point: I'm far more interested in creating a world that feels real than in telling a story, because I know that if I create a good enough world to engage the players the stories will come simply through what they do with (or to!) said world.

Good enough or real enough seems like the thing.

It seems like that always stops well before tracking bowel movements.

If so, that means there is a line somewhere and the arguments are just about where it is.

This is not a challenge for someone to fake back date a file with a character sheet that tracks bowel movements.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Good enough or real enough seems like the thing.

It seems like that always stops well before tracking bowel movements.

If so, that means there is a line somewhere and the arguments are just about where it is.

This is not a challenge for someone to fake back date a file with a character sheet that tracks bowel movements.
Gives a whole new meaning to “I’m a BM fighter.”

Tony Vargas

Legend
"Powerful Out the Gate and Only Getting Better" -- The character starts out powerful and continues to become moreso. I can't actually think of too many examples of this beyond, say, super heroes who learn to master their abilities over time.

"Always Powerful But No Progression" -- the character starts out at a powerful position but does not really "improve" (even though they may change and grow in other ways).

"Competent With Little Change" -- like most procedural TV characters, you start out competent and while you have experiences, they don't necessarily translate to increased power or capability.
These all strike me as pretty common...
...of course, I grew up on Episodic TV, comics, trilogies, &c, Episodic means you can't have too dramatic an arc, either character development or power wise. 🤷 Keeping the character consistent is important.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'd say that I prefer something in the range of competent to... well, way, way beyond "hero".

Like, starting out in the general area of the first couple of seasons of Avatar, and progressing gently through most Chinese fantasy TV into Dragonball Z territory and... onwards.

Remove ads