• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you like your HP to increase?

How do you prefer HP to increase with level?

• Roll a dice

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Gain a fixed amount

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • Roll a dice some levels, gain a fixed amount others

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Some combination of dice-rolling/fixed amount

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Dissociate HP from level increase (including no HP gain)

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • I prefer lemons

Votes: 1 1.2%

S

Sunseeker

So, for those that don't use one system up to 9th/10th and then switch: do you like a linear progression, or would it be preferred to get more HP at lower levels, steadily levelling off as you reach higher levels?

Also, thoughts on the rate of HP gain? Are the traditional d4-d10 reasonable jumps or would smaller dice, or say d3/d3+1/d3+2/d3+3 be enough progression?

I prefer linear progression. Keep things simple.

Also: I HATE D3'S!!!!! If it doesn't come in your average little box of seven dice you can pick up for 5 bucks at a gaming store, it shouldn't be used in core D&D. Having to divide a dice roll, or get specialty dice for a core element of the game should not be necessary.

delericho

Legend
The problem with rerolling all the dice, is that without any constant stat bonuses(such as adding con) it's possible to roll the same number. While even with rolling one additional die, you are guaranteed to get at least +1 hp.

I believe that's considered a feature rather than a bug: if up to this point you've rolled low, the chances are higher that you'll get a boost to your current XP; if up to now you've had unusually good rolls, it's more likely you'll end up with only a small increase, or even none at all.

Over time, then, hit points tend to move more towards the average levels for the number and type of dice.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Roll a dice to level 9(ish), a set small amount per level after that. I.E., AD&D rules.
Roll dice to level 9(ish) then roll a smaller die after that.

If you look carefully at the 1e progression the fixed amount gained after name level works out, for every class, to the average roll* of a die half the size of that class' hit die at lower levels. (e.g. a Fighter rolls d10 for h.p. up to name level, then gains 3/level; and 3 happens to be the average you'd get by rolling a d5)

* - or as close as full integers will allow

So I just have 'em roll the half-size die.

Lanefan

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I'd love to see an edition where players roll for everything -- stats, hp, base attack, spell slots, skills, feat slots, etc. Call it Dungeons & Darwin. ;)

Until then -- and to be completely honest, probably even after then -- I prefer to keep dice out of character generation. And I wouldn't mind no hp gain at all, so long as it's done in a way that doesn't result in super-swingy-deadly-avoid-combat-at-all-costs combat.

Greenfield

Adventurer
We do dice rolling, with a safety net.

That is, max at 1st level, then roll after that. Rolls have a minimum of half the dice size.

That is, you can't roll lower than a 2 on a D4. You can't roll lower than a 3 on a D6, etc.

As for the Barbarian mentioned, with 23 hp at 3rd level:

If you roll every level, you should average 19.5 before adding CON bonus. 23 doesn't sound too far out of bounds. Sounds about average for a 12 Con character in 3.5, as a matter of fact.

If you max first level, and presume that same 12 Con, 28 at 3rd level. (12 +1 from first, 6.5 +1 from second and 6.5+1 from third. In that case, 23 sounds light.

So remember, numbers without context are meaningless.

the Jester

Legend
My preference is twofold.

1. Each (or perhaps most) time you gain a level, you add one HD to your total.

2. Each time you gain a level, you reroll ALL your HD and keep your current hp total or take the newly-rolled one, whichever is higher.

fjw70

Adventurer
Fixed amount all the way. I don't like any significant randomness in character generation.

I haven't done it before but I wouldn't mind a smaller fixed amount as you level. Instead of 6 per level for a fighter from level 1-10, I could get on board with 8 hp/level from 1-5 and then 4/level from 6-10.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Random die roll with a safety net.

Our safety net has always been that after you roll, you may ask me (the DM) to roll again. No matter what my number is, you're stuck with it (but I have never rolled a 1 :^ ).

I don't object to totally random rolls, but I do think playing a fighter with tiny HP is depressing, so I try to mitigate the chance of it happening.

However, to put this in context, I play E6; characters only EVER get 6 HD. After that, if they want to spend a feat to get toughness for an added 3 hp, they're welcome to, but then they miss out on something else.

CroBob

First Post
In late 3rd edition, I recognized that some of my players simply rolled poorly for HPs, and this made their character less effective overall. Even with a better/more powerful class or build than someone else, their very low HPs meant they were killed too easily. I had a 5th level character gain more than double his HPs by gaining the 5th level and rolling a 7 on his d10 for HPs and taking Toughness. If level is actually a measure of your power, randomly generated HPs with such a wide gap between minimum and maximum gained simply didn't cut it.

I houseruled that you automatically gain half of your Hit-Die type, and gain half of what you roll on top of that. It was still random, but eliminated the chance of having ridiculously low HPs for your level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads