How do you make a super strong monster appear really strong when running an encounter

Thanee

First Post
Torm said:
As the ogres approach, the party wizard watches the ripple of the potion in one of his flasks?

Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.

Bye
Thanee

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
johnsemlak said:
A possible future encounter for the PCs in my 3e rendition of X4-X5 is a band of Ogre War Hulks, or perhaps a similarly classed Hill Giant. IMC I've make war hulks elite units of the Master's army.

What are some useful tips on roleplaying and running uber strong NPCs to really make their strength impress the players.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a way for their STR to matter besides the bonus to attack and damage.

Are there any particularly good weapons to suggest for the encounter?

How about a SMALL number of the ogres pulling behind them a massive statue of the Master (something the size of a few modern towers in massive good heavy stone just by the force of their muscles and a few ropes. It would make a nice way to say where the border with neighboring lands is.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
How about a SMALL number of the ogres pulling behind them a massive statue of the Master (something the size of a few modern towers in massive good heavy stone just by the force of their muscles and a few ropes. It would make a nice way to say where the border with neighboring lands is.

And I forgot : have them followed by scores of terrified lackeys, as well as more ogres parading their coming with massive war drums on elephants backs.

I did the same thing once, just a few tips.

Awsome Blow = Great.
Improved Trip + Knockdown feats = when you do more then 10 dmg they go prone (and that shouldnt be a problem ;)).
Make your own feat that gives like, 5+dmg done fortsave and if failed make a str check and move back 5 ft for every 1 point by which you failed the check and take extra falling damage accordingly :D (a bit complex I know but it works and adds some extra tension to the table)

And offcourse! The Hulking Hurler Prc from complete warrior, combine that with the class from MHB and you'll be throwing around farmhouses and breaking off ten ton boulders and bowling them around.

Zappo

Explorer
Awesome blow on the paladin, bouncing him off his warhorse.
Or, awesome blow on the warhorse, with the paladin on it.
That feat is awesome!

Massive strength gets hard to wrap your head around. I realized that a gargantuan dragon could actually pick up and *fly* with an abrams tank!

I'm big on using anime-type bits. Have said super-ogre using a wagon as their backpack, piled twenty feet high with loot, including a half-eaten horse.

Make the abnormally strong one pad along next to a full-fledged giant that is carrying this god-awful big sword (aka the "Master" sword). When they get to the fight have the giant swing out the sword in a big impressive maneuver, then kneel down and hand it to the strong, smaller, one calling out "good hunting, my master!"

I see a lot on describing what happens as it lifts things or misses a hit. Describes how the muscles puul and twist at his armor and clothes. How sweat drips and moves side to side flowing down the valleys of his muscles. Make him sound impressive.

In a Story hour story I did in the beginning I had the equilivant of Peter David's and George Perez's "evil" Hulk battle my near- epic heroes. I descriped how easily he did things. Punching through shields to grab at a soldier and the such. Exaggerate within the rules. He grazed you with a punch doing 55pts of damage. He is now following through with his second punch.

His STR by the way was a mere 44 but could be boosted to a 48. Scary stuff

pawsplay

Hero
Have the War Hulks walk around in chains. Describe one of them losing his temper, breaking out of his chains, grabbing the ogre next to him, and throwing that Ogre by his chain...

Kyamsil

First Post
As to what weapon to use?A massive Spiked Chain. It fits the Warhulk class abilities like a glove (specially once they get the "Massive Swing" ability ;) )

As to how to represent their massive strength... make the encounter on a forest and have some trees fall reduced to splinters when he uses the Mighty Swing or Massive Swing abilities. Describe how the rocks and stones in the ground are grounded into fine sands when he steps on them. Make them sense the trembling ground from far away when he is running/charging/fighting. Describe the shockwaves of his missed attacks and how he reduces to bits nearby "furniture" (boulders, trees, rock walls, whatever...) Describe how he throws rocks by kicking the half-ton or heavier rocks barefooted instead of launching them by using his arms (this should impress some players :D ) All of this effortlessly of course.

Give him feats like Awesome Blow, Large and in Charge, Improved Bull Rush, Sunder... Give him some feat/special ability that makes all his attacks count as Bull Rushes with no AoO (similar to Improved Shield Bash but with no 5' limit) or an Improved Awesome Blow that makes each attack count as an Awesome Blow. You want this one to be really special for the characters/players, so impress them so they know perhaps this one is the strongest creature they have faced ever.

Remove ads