• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you make humans worth LA +1?

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
+2 to two (different) attributes of their choice. If you're using Action Points, give them some number extra every level-- I'd say three is about right.

Ibram

First Post
more skill points and another feat would be the simplest way to go about it... but thats not what your looking for.

you could come up with a list of "racial traits" for humans, then allow the players to pick one or two. If you wanted to limit this you could make it based on the characters starting region... a "viking" character could have additional HP (2-4), bonuses to saves vs a cold environ, a plus to all melee attacks, or a free weap proficiency. something like that would let you give humans greater power but at the same time it would allow you to keep their "generalist" feel.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Full Gestalt on all heroic humans, haven't seen how you're changing the other races but humans being the only race with gestalt heroes/villains would definately do it. Of course that might be power gaming it a bit. ;)

Imret

First Post
Shellman said:
I like the idea of automatically giving humans the able learner feat to begin with regardless of any class they choose.

Where's that one located? I'm sure I have access to it, but there are a lot of feats out there.

Fieari

Explorer
Don't they say that full gestalt is worth +2 CR?

Maybe every other level gestalt? So gestalt at 1, 3, 5, etc... with normal single class at 2, 4, 6, etc?

Findlefarb

First Post
I developed some +1 LA humans for my private campaign world, too. Here's what I did:

Ability scores: +2 to any one score
Movement 30 ft
Medium Sized
+2 to Profession checks
+10% starting funds
1 extra feat at character creation
4 extra skill points at first level, +1 skill point per level afterward
Skill Focus grants a +4 bonus instead of a +3
Automatic Languages: Common, Bonus Languages: Any
Preferred Class: Any

It still focuses on versatility and being the most skilled at whatever the human wants to be.

ruleslawyer

Ibram said:
more skill points and another feat would be the simplest way to go about it... but thats not what your looking for.

you could come up with a list of "racial traits" for humans, then allow the players to pick one or two. If you wanted to limit this you could make it based on the characters starting region... a "viking" character could have additional HP (2-4), bonuses to saves vs a cold environ, a plus to all melee attacks, or a free weap proficiency. something like that would let you give humans greater power but at the same time it would allow you to keep their "generalist" feel.
You're 90% of the way to Iron Heroes with this.

Imret: Given your initial setup, I'd strongly recommend Iron Heroes. It provides a powerup for PCs (in exchange for magic) that's exactly up the alley you're suggesting. The advantage of IH, as opposed to the more powerful starting setup you initially proposed, is that it balances for lack of magic items across all levels, including the highest.

Imret

First Post
Hmm. 's an interesting one, Findlefarb. Taken under consideration.

Gestalt is not what I want at all. Discuss its balance if you wish - though it makes more sense as a new thread - but it's not gonna be my choice. When you only have three classes, starting humans with two makes them a bit too versatile.

ruleslawyer, I'm very very fond of Iron Heroes. I want to use its tasty new mechanics of pools and tokens; it may become part of something like the Elements of Magic Tradition feats. But I want magic, too, and the Arcanist doesn't do it for me. I want it to hang somewhere between Dawnforge, Iron Heroes, and Exalted; powerful spirits and mighty heroes and sorcery as a thing that sets one apart, but not inherently evil.

I'm really re-inventing the wheel here, but I think it will meet all my fantasy gaming needs that aren't SpirosBlaak. :D

Remove ads