• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Prefer To Buy Your RPG Products?

How Do You Prefer To Buy Your RPG Products?

• Brick-And-Mortar

Votes: 44 37.6%

Votes: 63 53.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 8.5%

Argyle King

Legend
I currently prefer Brick and Mortar. I like to be able to physically look at a product before buying. I also like that I can support both the local store, local gaming community, and local economy by buying from the store here; if it only takes a few extra dollars to do that, I don't mind.

I'm not against purchasing online, but I do try to actively avoid Amazon if I can. I've had quite a few bad experiences in which I received products which were in rather poor condition. Sure, I was able to return them, but that just added an extra step to trying to get a book.

I have started to get into pdfs a bit more; primarily because of being a GURPS player. The approach SJ Games takes to digital content (which I feel is well done,) how well the company does at communicating with their customer base, and the quality of content made available has drastically changed how I view pdfs and electronic purchases for the better.

Stormonu

Legend
All of my favorite Brick-N-Mortar have fallen to the wayside, or don't keep current stock. I like to peruse a book if I can before buying, but mostly I've been buying online these days.

Bagpuss

Legend
I like buying stuff at Conventions mainly. Nearest B&M store is a hour away, packing and petrol, mean it is nearly £10 just to visit so online is the really the only practical method now.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I buy almost all pdf format, because I have too much trouble reading print anymore. Therefore ONLINE all the way. I would buy PDFs FROM my brick-and-mortar store, if I could... I do want to have an FLGS, but getting there is a pain and if I'm not shopping there...

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Ideally I like the stores because I can go in, peruse the books and then determine what I like and if I like it enough to buy it. Unfortunately, online tends to be so much cheaper than the stores and I don't have to worry about travel time and expense in addition to the difference of the cost in the book plus tax...

So because of the cost I prefer online...

AshySimon

First Post
Online is cheaper and has better availability, but I really enjoy going to a store all the same. I like to be able to pick up and even peruse these purchases - they're often a little expensive. I like to know the thickness and quality. It's not really a logical thing, it just makes me feel a bit better about spending the money in the first place!

Fox Lee

Explorer
I'd like to support my one local brick-and-mortar store, but RPG products suffer a crazy huge markup here. Between import, shipping and retailer markup, hardcover RPG books run me $70-$100 if I buy from a real life store, ad that's just not a realistic option. Hence I go after PDFs now whenever I can, which means online shopping.

Quarex

Explorer
I am with Bagpuss. I consider myself a big-time gaming fan-type, but I know my tendencies; the only way to keep myself in check is to not even look at gaming stuff for the most part. Then, when I go to conventions, I go berserk. If I spend, say, $400/year on gaming material, $375 of that would be at Gen-Con, with a random visit to a gaming store on a cross-country drive accounting for the other $25. I do love shopping online, but I do not do it because it is too easy to spend all of the money.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I live in a Third World country with a completely corrupted postal system and in one of its many cities where most streets have no names and neither houses nor buildings are numbered. We also have a single book store taking up around 15 square metres which is all that is required to meet the demand of 300,000 people that live here.

Against that backdrop, I prefer to buy PDFs online.

When I back in civilisation, FLGS all the way. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads