• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "Drow"?

How do you pronouce "Drow"?

• As rhyming with "go"

Votes: 81 16.1%
  • As rhyming with "cow"

Votes: 395 78.4%
  • Both ways

Votes: 23 4.6%
  • Neither way

Votes: 5 1.0%

Sejs

First Post
I love how several entries on that list have multiple correct pronounciations, but oh wait! This one.. yeah, there's only one correct way to say that. Whatever.

Just say it however you feel fits best, and stop worrying what's correct.

Faraer

Explorer
The French pronunciation of bulette is something like boolett -- bulet would be boolay.
Thanee said:
I usually say me-LEE, is that wrong?
Yes. The Americans have this weird idea that foreign languages, especially French, stress the last syllable of words. The syllables of melee should get equal stress.

Last edited:

fredramsey

First Post
Ok, I can see that. But definitely not like something shot from a gun ;)

Of course, you could just say, "Land Shark!" :cool:

Faraer said:
The French pronunication of bulette is something like boolett -- bulet would be boolay.Yes. The Americans have this weird idea that foreign languages, especially French, stress the last syllable of words. The syllables of melee should get equal stress.

Thanee

First Post
Faraer said:
The French pronunciation of bulette is something like boolett -- bulet would be boolay.
That's what I also thought... boolett...

Yes. The Americans have this weird idea that foreign languages, especially French, stress the last syllable of words. The syllables of melee should get equal stress.
Was more meant as compared to MAY-lay in the list, which seems to be a complete different (and rather weird, to me at least) pronounciation.

I do not really stress the last syllables so extreme as the caps might hint at. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Turjan

Explorer
Faraer said:
The French pronunciation of bulette is something like boolett -- bulet would be boolay

Nearly. It's more like by-LETT with the y like in "mystic" and not like in "by" ;)

There's not much to discuss about it, either, because the pronunciation of letters in French is fixed, unlike in English, where this doesn't really follow rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads