• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce 'melee?'

Tallifer

Hero
Yes, several online and physical dictionaries, as well as several years of French lessons.

In the original French, you'd stress the second syllable (making it "meh-LAY"). But in English accentuating either is acceptable. However, "mee-lee" is not, imho, acceptable. The first syllable varies from "meh" to "may" in English, but is never "mee".

And changing the pronunciation as jargon specifically for RPG use... that seems more than a little... silly and hubristic.

Get off your high horse. Do you pronounce Paris like a Frenchman or like the rest of the English speaking world?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Get off your high horse. Do you pronounce Paris like a Frenchman or like the rest of the English speaking world?
Paris, Maine or Paris, France? I consider it generally polite to use the pronunciation preferred by the natives. Whether that is Paris or Appalachia.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* And in response to the original question 'MAY-LAY'

Theroc

First Post
Me-lee drives me nuts. I'm not sure if the 'maylay' I pronounce is correct, but it's what my father raised me to say... used to have a friend who pronounced it me-lee. Really weird, since he was French Canadian... >.>

Anyways, I also usually say, "Coo day gra". The s sounds foreign to me, lol. Anyways, People can pronounce it however they want, so long as I'm not there to have my 'grammar nazi' senses tingle. ;)

pedr

Explorer
I understand why 'Paris' is pronounced as if it were an English word by English-speakers and as if it were a French word by French speakers.

I'm intrigued why melee (which would probably be mee-lee if it were an English word) could come to be pronounced 'may-lay'. The most correct pronunciation is probably 'meh-lay' but I have no idea how 'may-lay' could have developed.

Theroc

First Post
I'm intrigued why melee (which would probably be mee-lee if it were an English word) could come to be pronounced 'may-lay'. The most correct pronunciation is probably 'meh-lay' but I have no idea how 'may-lay' could have developed.

Etymonline.com said:
melee 1648, from Fr. mêlée, from O.Fr. meslee "confused fight, mixture," from fem. pp. of mesler "to mix, mingle" (see meddle). See also medley.
Melee comes from a French word. So, it makes sense to me that it may have a more French pronunciation. Whether May-lay is correct French or English though, is something I can't answer with any true certainty besides my education. I also do not know the significance of the symbols above the 'melee' besides the 'Fr.' portion.

pedr

Explorer
Melee comes from a French word. So, it makes sense to me that it may have a more French pronunciation. Whether May-lay is correct French or English though, is something I can't answer with any true certainty besides my education. I also do not know the significance of the symbols above the 'melee' besides the 'Fr.' portion.
I've copied Wikipedia's listing of a French pronunciation (in IPA) above - my reading of the IPA used suggests meh-LAY as the French pronunciation. Wikipedia - and the various English dictionaries I've seen - puts the stress on the first syllable in English and some cite MAY-lay (e.g. Webster) as the only pronunciation, some MUH-lay (e.g. Concise OED) and some both (Wikipedia, which puts MUH-lay first and MAY-lay second).

My question is: why would anyone ever start pronouncing it MAY-lay as we don't usually pronounce a single e as 'ay' unless we put an accent on it, in fact older sources may put a circumflex on that first e which really doesn't mean 'pronounce like ay' -- so where did it come from, for it to (appear to) become the standard American pronunciation. I'm not sure I've ever heard it from a British-English speaker - here it's pretty much always 'meh-lay'.

The diacritical marks in the French are: a circumflex on the first e and an acute accent on the second. The acute accent gives us the 'ay' sound; the use of circumflexes in French is complicated and - mainly - historical I think. I've linked to a Wikipedia article about it in an earlier post. Here it seems to clarify that the e should be short (as in 'bed').

Last edited:

vectner

Explorer
Personally I say ME LEE. Although a large fight may be referenced as a May Lay, and it wouldn't sound dumb.

Lich = Litch

Mana = Man a

my 2cp

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Do you pronounce Paris like a Frenchman or like the rest of the English speaking world?

If I am speaking to a native speaker of French, then I pronounce it in the French fashion (if I am speaking about the capitol of France, that is). If speaking with a native English speaker, I'm more apt to use the English pronunciation. Or did you not see that I allowed for the English pronunciations?

I am not much for jargonization, in general. Unnecessary jargon gets in the way of real communication. That's not a high horse, that's a personal preference.

Remove ads