• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce...

dhaga

First Post
Tanar'ri?

This has been a question I've had for quite awhile, but it was brought back to light for me during our last session, as the PCs stepped through a portal to the Outer Planes. During this journey, they are sure to encounter some of the above ;)

I've heard it pronounced 2 ways, mostly:
tan-a-ri (emphasis on the 1st syllable, tan as the word "tan", the final i as in "eye")
ten-a-ree (emphasis on the 2nd syllable)

I usually pronounce it the first way that is listed.

dhaga

First Post
Shade said:
I've always pronounced it tuh-NAR-ree. I don't know if that's "correct", though.

That's how I used to pronounce it, and sometimes still do. I figure even if no one comes out with what's "correct" here, I'll at least get a feel for how others may pronounce it.

Menexenus

First Post
Shade said:
I've always pronounced it tuh-NAR-ree. I don't know if that's "correct", though.

Same here/me three.

Actually, I've had a tougher time with "baatezu". The first DM I ever heard say the word tried to pronounce both A's separately. He pronounced it "bay-AH-teh-ZOO". I now realize that this makes very little phonetic sense (since the two A's together are probably just an elongated "ah" sound), but I am too lazy to retrain myself to say it correctly. BTW, my old DM also pronounced the word "Baator" as "BAY-ah-tor", so at least he was consistent. ;)

P.S. I'm assuming that the correct pronunciations would be "bah-teh-zoo" and "bah-tor".

Gothenem

Explorer
tuh-NAR-ee for me aswell. It seems to be very popular.

I also pronounce the Devils bay-AH-teh-ZOO and their home BAY-ah-tor.

IIRC I believe that that is how you are supposed to. In a PS product (Faces of Evil or Hellbound) there is a pronunciation for the plane.

dhaga

First Post
I figured Baatezu would make its way in here as well ;)

I've always pronounced it bah-tay-ZOO (and bah-tor).

Gothenem said:
In a PS product (Faces of Evil or Hellbound) there is a pronunciation for the plane.
Do they include some pronunciations for the denizens of the planes as well?

Gothenem

Explorer
No, it was just for Baator. I dunno why they only did it that once. Now that I think about it, it may have been Legions of Hell.

I'll have to do a search tonight or tomorrow...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads