• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you read an adventure?

akr71

Hero
1. A quick scan of the book for any maps which I look at for a couple minutes. I like maps.
2. Flip to the Appendices for a quick glance - specifically any stat-ed out NPCs and new monsters.
3. Read the adventure front to back with frequent references to maps and stat blocks so I know where things are to take place and how difficult the encounter will be.
4. Make notes and/or highlight things that I need to remember.
5. Make notes of any changes and/or additions that I would like to make to the adventure.

The_Gneech

Explorer
The only big hardcover adventures I know are the WotC ones, and they pretty universally don't work for my campaign. So I immediately look for stuff I can pilfer: monsters, set pieces, and the like.

Basically the same, or as I like to refer to it, "killing the module and taking its stuff."

I did run Lost Mines of Phandelver fairly straight as written, except that Wave Echo Cave was the first level of a Moria-like setup with an orc-quaggoth war in one part, a vampire dwarf and his undead minions in another part, and duergar caves connecting to the Seven-Pillared Hall (from Thunderspire Labyrinth) in another.

In the words of Egg Chen, "We take what we want and leave the rest. Just like your salad bar!"

-The Gneech :cool:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Simply don't have time for a cover-to-cover read, let alone trying to memorize it. Read the intro, any overview, and the things the players are likely to encounter first. If I continue running it, basically just keep a session or two ahead of the players.

Not ideal.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Cover to cover first. Then I skim over it trying to map out the "workflows" of the adventure. What are the major choices the party will be faced with, and what are the consequences of those choices. Players will always surprise you, but getting an idea of how the world will react to the big binary choices helps me deal with the unexpected when it occurs.

HEEGZ

First Post
I read them cover to cover. I think I've done this with every 5e book now that I think about it. I don't skip around until my second read through.

ccs

41st lv DM
Usually I thumb through it 1st looking at the art/maps/etc. Sometimes pausing to read a bit here or there.

Then I read it cover to cover. Flipping to maps or stat pages as needed.

When I get around to using it I'll read it cover to cover again, this time with a notepad handy.
And then I'll read a few more times.
Often when I'm actually running it I don't need the module open. Just the map & my personalized page or two of notes.

In the case of a PF AP? Because they're written by 6 different authors, I collect all six volumes before doing this. I read all six end to end. Then I go back & do the above steps concentrating on two volumes at a time as needed for play.

l0lzero

First Post
First, I look for class and character options, to see if there's anything nifty there. Then I look at the bits of civilization and the over-all layout of the land. Then I look at the NPCs, and then check out some of the quest stuff. Then I look through the encounters. Then I will sit down and start actually reading it if anything looks particularly good, otherwise I just use it as a reference to steal ideas from and change to suit my needs.

I'm not a huge fan of pre-built adventures to be honest, they assume a level of linearity that I'm not a huge fan of. Even with OotA, you're only free to sandbox it up for a little while before something compels you to get back into the story. I like a well defined world that can stand on its own that also happens to have a storyline, with what happens if the characters ignore X event, so that I can feel free to plop them into the story at any point; maybe the party was off wandering a cave system that led to a sunken temple for the first few levels (days), and then they start traveling to a bigger city to sell off the loot at a better price and have access to better gear, so it ends up being a week or so before they even have a chance to find out about what's going on, then they ignore that quest line for a bit to go do whatever else, get somewhere, and the problem has spread further, so now they decide to come in and start dealing with it, and are having to go back and clean up the mess wrought by whatever story they were ignoring. I don't like to force anything on players, I like to give them a choice, and if they want to ignore the rise of demogorgon they are free to do so, but they suffer the consequences of their choice in the form of demogorgon disrupting trade, causing nations to divert resources, all of a sudden weapons and armor become harder to buy, potions are a no-go because of the war effort, etc. Still don't want to deal with it? Cool by me. Want to hop a boat and go to another continent? Sweet!

<.< I do really want to run CoS though, I just haven't had the time to read through all of it yet (have to learn a few new systems, so I can run them at a local shop), it looks fun and like, literally everyone who plays DnD is roughly familiar with it and thinks it's interesting, so players definitely wouldn't be a problem.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I don't read them as such. Cause you're not supposed to read them like a novel. Not even like a play really. The story doesn't exist till you play.
First I find all the character bits like classes, or magic items to get that new and Shiney reaction out of the way. Then I deconstruct the book. Well virtually anyway. Organizing the material for better access, and trying to mentally map out the Web of jumps needed from any position. It's not really cover to cover, it's more like a chose your own adventure book or perhaps literally a reference book with Lloyd the back and forth reading.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads