• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you regain INT after an Intellect Devourer attack?

Sezarious

Explorer
The only other path I could see is this. The words for lesser restoration are that it removes one condition afflicting it. This does not fix the ability score issue, but SHOULD work on the "stunned" effect. Therefore a lesser restoration might either wake him up at 0 int, or it might wake him up at 1 int, or it temporarily brings him back completely so that he can prepare the spell 'greater restoration' and cast it on himself.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
It sounds like this is sort of bringing your game to a halt or at least leaving this player sitting high and dry. I would just use his Divine Inspiration for a greater restoration and recover his int.

BMaC

Adventurer
It sounds like this is sort of bringing your game to a halt or at least leaving this player sitting high and dry. I would just use his Divine Inspiration for a greater restoration and recover his int.

Yes, for the players this first encounter was just the tip of the ice berg. Where they're going they will encounter many many more intellect devourers. I'm going to get the Cleric back on his feet and let the part have a long rest so they can take stock of the situation and put some plans in place on how to deal with this type of threat.

See, I figure the INT is gone - literally, devoured - rather than a wound that can heal with time. You'd need a spell.

Alternatively, three long rests where the hit die recovery is fully channelled into 1 point of INT per rest, until at 3 INT he can cure himself. He's going to need healing potions for the physical damage though.

Roger

First Post
You gotta cook up that intellect devourer and feed it to him, which I guess would make him an intellect devourer devourerer. It might not work but it's not like he's going to complain.

If the DM is feeling flexible, this sounds like an excellent side quest opportunity.

Since the guy's smarts are basically inside the deceased Intellect Devourer, maybe the party need to find a way to use its corpse as part of a cure - perhaps a mystic might channel the lost intellect back into the Cleric, or an alchemist could use the corpse as an ingredient in a special restorative concoction.

This is a grand idea. Turn the cure into a side adventure / quest. Or Halloween it up ... they find a wizard who assures them that he can transplant the Intellect Devourer into the skull of the cleric, zap him with some lightning and restore his intellect.

juggerulez

First Post
Of course, buffing spells and the such no longer grant you +X's in this edition to my knowledge. Rather, it tends to be advantage. :/
You could "make it up" to be like "you can cast but have to make a DC5 INT to speak proper, the enhance ability then gives him ADV (or a +5 on a check) and unless he rolls terribly, he should be able to do it :)

OR

If the DM is feeling flexible, this sounds like an excellent side quest opportunity.

Since the guy's smarts are basically inside the deceased Intellect Devourer, maybe the party need to find a way to use its corpse as part of a cure - perhaps a mystic might channel the lost intellect back into the Cleric, or an alchemist could use the corpse as an ingredient in a special restorative concoction.

This is actually a really nice idea! Unless they're in the middle of something big, something that has an impending doom flavour, they could put things on hold and fix their friend first!

perhaps as an Halloween event as marcvus suggested :D

Sezarious

Explorer

Aaarrrgh! I didn't even think of that! Yes, if he keeps trying, he can simply use his divine intervention! It says that any cleric spell or domain spell would be appropriate. He's above 10th level, so he has the feature. It's perfect. As long as you could justify him being conscious at 0 Int, he would be begging his dirty for help and his deity would very likely just intervene with a greater restoration.

Remove ads