• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you say "Genasi"?

Reaper Steve

Explorer
It only took me two decades to find out that "Drow" is pronounced like "cow" and not like "row" (as in row boat.)

So, how is "Genasi" supposed to be pronounced?
Jen-a-SIGH
Jen-NA-see
Jen-a-SEE
other?

Thanks,
RS

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Geh (hard 'g')- NA-see. That is just how I have always said it, but if I was doing a say Arabic campaign with lots of Djinn and also Genasi, probably try to find a Arabic pronunciation.

There was just a thread on this a few weeks ago, actually. :)

Monte Cook (who created them) confirmed that it's a soft G, as in "genie" (which is where the name came from), and that the last syllable rhymes with "free."

jeh-NAH-see.

Rechan

Adventurer
For YEARS and YEARS (until I heard the guys on GamerZero say it out loud), I pronounced it:

GEN-SA. (Like Gensu knives).

vagabundo

Adventurer
LOL, this thread reminds me of how many words in DND, and fiction/conics in general, that I mispronounce.

I used to butcher names in 200AD for years, I think I was slightly dyslexic, and I never heard anyone talk about them. Rogue Trooper - Roge (as in Roger without the R) trooper and forget about Strontium Dog, <sigh> so many memories.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I used to butcher names in 200AD for years, I think I was slightly dyslexic, and I never heard anyone talk about them. Rogue Trooper - Roge (as in Roger without the R) trooper and forget about Strontium Dog, <sigh> so many memories.
:chuckle: I'm Rog. Rog Trooper. :) Ah, 2000AD... Splundig Ver Thrigg, vagabundo.

vagabundo

Adventurer
:chuckle: I'm Rog. Rog Trooper. :) Ah, 2000AD... Splundig Ver Thrigg, vagabundo.

Ahh good ould, Tharg the Mighty. Slaine, DR and Quinch, ABC Warriors, Sam Slade, Nemesis and Torquemada. 2000ad totally rocked my world back then.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread OP. I'm going to dig out my issues from the attic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads