• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you surprise your players?

As a DM, how do you surprise your players? For example, if a module calls for an ambush, how do you run the ambush narrative and subsequent combat? How do you manage PCs that roll higher initiative than the monsters doing the ambush? How would you manage a character that has the alert feat or similar "can't be surprised" effect?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In general, I don't set out to surprise the players. Sometimes it will happen because of this occurrence or that, but I find that wanting a particular outcome too much can result in treading upon the players' choices. So the best I can do is set up situations that are interesting and challenging and if the players find themselves surprised by those events, then great! Otherwise, no big deal.

With ambushes, the first thing I will do is some level of telegraphing. The PCs might hear about banditry in the forest or monsters known to stalk the shadows of the forsaken ruins or whatever. While that may seem strange when preparing to present an ambush, it is a form of foreshadowing which creates the context necessary for the players to make decisions to change their fate. Without it, an ambush simply becomes a "gotcha," not unlike the odd trap that the PCs had no chance to avoid except perhaps for a die roll or two instead of solid decision-making. And in any case, players may not do anything in particular to prepare themselves for these eventualities, but if they run afoul of those bandits or stalking monsters and take a beating, they can at least look back and know that they were warned and that their decisions had a hand in the outcome, good or bad.

As far as presenting the actual scene, it can vary based on the NPCs or monsters doing the ambushing. But ultimately it just follows the standard Combat Step by Step rules: The DM determines surprise with the monsters' Dexterity (Stealth) checks against the PCs' passive Perception checks (those who are Keeping Watch, that is) to determine surprise. Any PC who is not Keeping Watch because they've turned their attention to some other task is automatically surprised. The DM then establishes positions, describes the environment, and everyone rolls initiative.

PCs who aren't surprised and also beat the monsters in initiative are aware of where the monsters are, even if they can't see them. The players describe what they want to do and the DM narrates the results of the adventurers' actions. The PCs who are surprised don't get to act in the first round, except perhaps for reactions after their turn has passed.

That's about it. There's really nothing special to it in my view.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
They rarely expect me to be hiding in their heating ducts when they get home from work, so that has worked pretty well in the past for me.

Satyrn

First Post
They rarely expect me to be hiding in their heating ducts when they get home from work, so that has worked pretty well in the past for me.

Geeze. You're far more committed than I am. I just randomly shout out "Boo!" at some point point during the game session.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have them attacked by the Spanish Inquisition.

Yes, it is a tired joke. Monty Python has become trite in gaming circles. But, still...

NO-body expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Sorry. I'll let myself out.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Y'all can be jaded by Monty Python all yah want, it ain't stopping me from screaming "REd, no Blue.....AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
I always describe the initiation, but not the resolution, of any action that begins combat, before I call for initiative. This is whether surprise is involved or not. For example, if an ambush begins with a ranged attack from hidden attackers, I might say something like, "As you're traveling along the forest path, you hear the twang of bowstrings and the sound of arrows in flight. Roll initiative!" If someone rolls a higher initiative than the attackers, they can use a reaction, but their surprise keeps them from moving or taking actions on their turn. If they're immune to surprise, they can do things on their turn before the initiating attack is resolved, perhaps even neutralizing it, which I would say is a benefit of being immune to surprise.

Oofta

Legend
I surprise my players by jumping out of the closet with a running chainsaw. Then when I take off my mask and they start laughing because it's just me I double down by cutting off one of their heads. The looks on their faces, not to mention the spattered blood, is priceless. Ah the memories.

As far as surprising PCs, I don't very often. But when I do it's usually more than just a monster jumping out of the closet. Something in the scene will change, either environmentally because the floor collapses, or "harmless" NPC vendors are really vampires. Another scenario is to have someone they thought was a trusted ally betrays them. If I just want to mess with them, I'll hand a random person a piece of paper telling them that there's nothing wrong but they need to roll a d20, write down the result and then hand me the paper back. If I really want to mess with them, a different PC has been secretly replaced by a doppleganger. The player of the PC has to be the kind that will have fun running the doppleganger and be able to do it with a straight face of course.

The PCs may find themselves in over their head and face unexpected challenges based on their actions or lack therein. But straight up rounds where some of the PCs may be surprised? Doesn't happen often.

I surprise my players by jumping out of the closet with a running chainsaw. Then when I take off my mask and they start laughing because it's just me I double down by cutting off one of their heads. The looks on their faces, not to mention the spattered blood, is priceless. Ah the memories.

I actually did mean surprise the players. As soon as one calls for an initiative roll, the surprise is sort of lost. I feel it would be more theatrical if the ambush began *before* the players roll for initiative thus surprising the players (whether or not the characters are surprised).

As far as surprising PCs, I don't very often. But when I do it's usually more than just a monster jumping out of the closet. Something in the scene will change, either environmentally because the floor collapses, or "harmless" NPC vendors are really vampires. Another scenario is to have someone they thought was a trusted ally betrays them. If I just want to mess with them, I'll hand a random person a piece of paper telling them that there's nothing wrong but they need to roll a d20, write down the result and then hand me the paper back. If I really want to mess with them, a different PC has been secretly replaced by a doppleganger. The player of the PC has to be the kind that will have fun running the doppleganger and be able to do it with a straight face of course.

The PCs may find themselves in over their head and face unexpected challenges based on their actions or lack therein. But straight up rounds where some of the PCs may be surprised? Doesn't happen often.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of. How would you run "floor collapses"? Do you announce "you hear a rumbling sound" and have the players roll for initiative? What about the harmless NPC vendor that suddenly tries to suck their blood? "The NPC turns towards you with a gleam in his eye: roll for initiative" or is it more of a "The NPC bites your neck" sort of thing? This is where I get stuck and the narrative is lost for me. Players that roll high initiative are stuck wondering what the gleam in his eye means and effectively lose their turn. Or they simply attack because they know initiative means combat...

Last edited:

Remove ads