How do you tell when something is AI art?

MarkB

Legend
But if you don't trust your artists in the first place? Why bother paying them? Trust, but verify? Sure! But something as basic as asking for art that is not AI generated, if you have to bother checking, that relation is sour from the get go...
And if you don't have an existing relationship with an artist? How exactly do you establish that trust?

Ryujin

Legend
There’s a few things I’ve generally seen AI image generators struggle with. Hands and feet have been mentioned, but some of the tools I’ve seen struggle with things like bow strings. I’ll see if I can find an image someone in my PF2e group generated, but one of the characters is a magus that favors using a bow so the prompt was for something like an archer firing magical arrows and no matter how he tweaked the prompt, the tool could not get the string on the bow to look remotely right. The arrow the archer had nocked kept being positioned at an extremely weird angle too. Maybe it was an issue of the prompts he was using.
Have you seen the recent AI generated image of the female archer with two right arms? I tried to find it again, after it showed up on multiple D&D based Facebook pages, but no luck.

Reynard

Legend
Have you seen the recent AI generated image of the female archer with two right arms? I tried to find it again, after it showed up on multiple D&D based Facebook pages, but no luck.
The existence of bad AI art does not preclude the existence of good AI art.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But if you don't trust your artists in the first place? Why bother paying them? Trust, but verify? Sure! But something as basic as asking for art that is not AI generated, if you have to bother checking, that relation is sour from the get go...
Wow, you just solved crime!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
And if you don't have an existing relationship with an artist? How exactly do you establish that trust?
In the same way you hire anyone else... Or do you, when you hire an IT admin, first not give the IT admin any access to your IT systems and you first get to 'know' the IT admin for a year? You look at an artists previous work, you check references, you interview someone, you sign contracts. Or do you also throw every text your writer produces through a plagiarism checker? Do you look over the shoulder of your layout artist to see if he's actually doing the work and not subcontracting? I've worked in IT under such conditions and that is NOT a healthy work environment (literally looking over your shoulder)...

Also as Morrus said three months ago, artists generally first provide sketches during the process:

Some people are obviously concerned about the ethics of using AI art, Morrus is one of those (as he has mentioned in other threads). So I'm seriously curious why it's important how to tell AI art apart from 'other' art? His own artists he 'controls' as he insists on a collaborative process... So is this to detect AI in other people's products that don't disclose that? Not that they are required to... But to what point? Or is it to stop repeating fake 'news' articles that claim up and down that something is AI art by the AI Art Inquisition and turn out to be wrong? 😇

Wow, you just solved crime!
I didn't, because AI art isn't a crime, nor is delivering AI art for an art project a crime, unless it's contractually determined that the art should not be AI created, then it might be fraud.

But I at least took the time to give my answer to your question, you did not do the same of answering my question...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also as Morrus said three months ago, artists generally first provide sketches during the process:
There are lots of ways to get art. One common way is to license it from stock art sites. This is a common practise in this industry, especially for smaller publishers. But the sites and artists are not doing a good job of tagging AI art as such.

This my question. How do you tell?

This is trivial for them, but it’s a waste of processing power to have an AI produce arbitrary art no one is asking for.

Spending resources to produce arbitrary art no one is asking for is art.
I finally managed to find an image that I recognized as being AI because it was "too good", so that I could offer an example.

View attachment 347627
That and the strong bokeh. But I guess you didn't try to remove it.

Remove ads