D&D General How do you think each alignment would handle this?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Basic Human Fighter (or whatever) is in a local store sees an obviously poor man steal something.

How would each of the alignment's react in your opinion?

LG
NG
CG
LN
TN
CN
LE
NE
CE

Addendum: Don’t over think this

Last edited:

Basic Human Fighter (or whatever) is in a local store sees an obviously poor man steal something.

LG
NG
CG
LN
TN
CN
LE
NE
CE
I think this reveals an important issue - alignment vs. personality and goals.

Looking at LG for example, two different but equally LG personalities might for example, both decide to confront the guy stealing, but one would just offer to pay for his goods, feeling he couldn't afford them but did need them, whereas the other might ask him to put them back to avoid a crime being fully committed (in most conceptions of theft - not all, I think the laws of some US states actually differ from what's more typical worldwide here, but that's a separate discussion - if you don't demonstrate an "intent to permanently deprive" it's not really theft), and hell a third, especially one who was kindly, but stupid and thoughtless, and inconsiderate of consequences, might just make a fuss and get the guy arrested before he realized that this wasn't really terribly decent of him - hopefully he would then attempt to help the guy out with the consequences of that.

Likewise with LE - A particularly snotty-nosed and forthright individual who enjoys the persecution and punishment of others will immediately kick up a fuss and try and maximize the crime in the eyes of the law and maximize the problem to cause a thrill for himself. But another LE person might simply ignore the crime as not something he had any duty to interact with - this is the duty of the shopkeeper(s), their security (if any) and of the city guard. A third LE person, who is deeply selfish and perhaps cruel, but pays heavy lip-service to "civic virtue" might well report the individual, but not in the dramatic way the first did. I can even imagine an LE person who in fact is initially de facto as helpful as the kindest LG person - i.e. buying the goods for the person, not reporting them, but who makes it very clear to that person that they now owe them - perhaps not financially but in a broader sense - or one who doesn't even do that, but is trying to buy the adoration of this person, so that they can use that adoration in a future scheme.

There's also a huge difference for a lot of the alignments depending on whether the goods being taken were:

A) Something someone might need to live - food, medicine, a blanket, shoes, etc.

B) Something less vital but more than just a luxury - like an educational book, or a tool for a trade.

C) Something that was a complete luxury - though this sometimes would open the question as to whether it's being taken to be resold and then the money used for something else - and thoughtless and reactionary characters, however good their intentions, will not necessarily think this one though.

Also the age of the person stealing - children will typically be treated differently to healthy adults, as will the elderly, quite likely.

And I think we're assuming the PC is acting purely on the superficial appearance of the situation - i.e. he doesn't know this person, but assumes them to be poor because of their attire, appearance and manner in which others are treating them. Because if that's not the case, that adds complexity too.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I think this reveals an important issue - alignment vs. personality and goals.

Looking at LG for example, two different but equally LG personalities might for example, both decide to confront the guy stealing, but one would just offer to pay for his goods, feeling he couldn't afford them but did need them, whereas the other might ask him to put them back to avoid a crime being fully committed (in most conceptions of theft - not all, I think the laws of some US states actually differ from what's more typical worldwide here, but that's a separate discussion - if you don't demonstrate an "intent to permanently deprive" it's not really theft), and hell a third, especially one who was kindly, but stupid and thoughtless, and inconsiderate of consequences, might just make a fuss and get the guy arrested before he realized that this wasn't really terribly decent of him - hopefully he would then attempt to help the guy out with the consequences of that.

Likewise with LE - A particularly snotty-nosed and forthright individual who enjoys the persecution and punishment of others will immediately kick up a fuss and try and maximize the crime in the eyes of the law and maximize the problem to cause a thrill for himself. But another LE person might simply ignore the crime as not something he had any duty to interact with - this is the duty of the shopkeeper(s), their security (if any) and of the city guard. A third LE person, who is deeply selfish and perhaps cruel, but pays heavy lip-service to "civic virtue" might well report the individual, but not in the dramatic way the first did. I can even imagine an LE person who in fact is initially de facto as helpful as the kindest LG person - i.e. buying the goods for the person, not reporting them, but who makes it very clear to that person that they now owe them - perhaps not financially but in a broader sense - or one who doesn't even do that, but is trying to buy the adoration of this person, so that they can use that adoration in a future scheme.

There's also a huge difference for a lot of the alignments depending on whether the goods being taken were:

A) Something someone might need to live - food, medicine, a blanket, shoes, etc.

B) Something less vital but more than just a luxury - like an educational book, or a tool for a trade.

C) Something that was a complete luxury - though this sometimes would open the question as to whether it's being taken to be resold and then the money used for something else - and thoughtless and reactionary characters, however good their intentions, will not necessarily think this one though.

Also the age of the person stealing - children will typically be treated differently to healthy adults, as will the elderly, quite likely.

And I think we're assuming the PC is acting purely on the superficial appearance of the situation - i.e. he doesn't know this person, but assumes them to be poor because of their attire, appearance and manner in which others are treating them. Because if that's not the case, that adds complexity too.

Right. It’s a flawed system and as we know, on the way out. Which is long over due. That being said “in your opinion”. How would your version of the alignments handle this?

FitzTheRuke

Legend

I'm 100% with @Ruin Explorer on this, but I'll play the game. Keep in mind that this is totally superficial, as I think that there are way more things to consider, but "on average":

LG - Buy it for them.
NG - Pretend they didn't see them.
CG - Distract the shopkeeper.
LN - Call them on it.
TN - Shrug and move on.
CN - Steal something too.
LE - Turn them in for a reward.
NE - Whisper to them that they "owe them one".
CE - Wait until the thief is outside and then steal what they stole from them.

Right. It’s a flawed system and as we know, on the way out. Which is long over due. That being said “in your opinion”. How would your version of the alignments handle this?
I gave my opinion in some detail for LG and LE. And even that was a tiny fraction of the possibilities.

Each alignment's behaviour would vary wildly depending on their personality, goals long-term and short, personal values independent of alignment, level of intelligence, level of foresight re: the consequences of their actions, and so on. That's even without considering the situation of the person taking the goods, beyond that they appear poor. Let alone the society this is happening in.

As I pointed out, LE might be de facto indistinguishable from LG, depending on their goals and how able they were to think the situation and its consequences through.

Lawful characters don't have to follow the law, Chaotic characters don't have to ignore the crime. Good characters usually won't do something nasty - but if they're thoughtless, they might. Evil characters won't generally do something nice, but personal circumstances could mean that they did, or a longer-term goal could. The Complete Handbook of Villains did a superb job in illustrating this - there are villains who will help an old lady across a street, or give money to beggars, but who equally will think it's fine to kill thousands and thousands of people to resurrect their dead daughter or whatever - obviously someone who will kill thousands of innocents to resurrect one person is Evil, when the chips are down (and likely has done other Evil things in their life), but that might not be obvious.

I mean, hell, Chaotic Neutral, depending on the actual character and their personality, might be basically Diceman-ing it, and taking a random action, or they might just be selfish but not cruel and just ignore it - or if there was a reward they might decide, well, I need that reward, so I'll report this person even though I don't care about the law personally. Or they might think "I was poor once, I know how it is, I'm not reporting him even though there's a reward I'd like", just because that's their personality, even if they don't generally have any particular morals or standards.

To be clear - I don't think it's a "stupid question" or something, I think it's even kind of an interesting question, but it's a question that reveals how alignment is only one small factor in determining how an individual will act in a given situation. I do think we could have done with some more details of the situation though to be fair.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
I'll assume it's a small food item.

LG - I stop the man, and hand him the coins needed to pay for it without letting the shop owner know what was happening.

LN - I am not the law, if he's caught I will indicate that I saw it happening, as a witness.

LE - Alert the shop owner, expecting a reward for my righteousness.

NG - Give the man some coins, without expectation that he pays.

N - Shrug.

NE - Blackmail him. He is another set of eyes on the street for me.

CG - Distract the shop owner.

CN - Grab a snack myself.

CE - Expose the thief, and in the confusion steal something more valuable.

Stalker0

Legend
Lawful characters don't have to follow the law
I recognize there are many many ways people do alignments, but how i see alignments, in fact lawful characters do have to follow the law.

To me, the vast vast majority of players characters are neutral or “unaligned” in modern alignment notes.

But if you are dedicated to an alignment, to the point where even some magic sees you differently, then that’s not a “preference”…that’s an innate part of who you are.

Lawful people feel compelled to follow the law, good people are compelled to help other people, and evil people have to screw over others…even when it might not be in their best interest to do so.

I think of evil like a serial killer, it’s an itch they just have to scratch, even if it might get them caught.

TheSword

Legend
I'm 100% with @Ruin Explorer on this, but I'll play the game. Keep in mind that this is totally superficial, as I think that there are way more things to consider, but "on average":

LG - Buy it for them.
NG - Pretend they didn't see them.
CG - Distract the shopkeeper.
LN - Call them on it.
TN - Shrug and move on.
CN - Steal something too.
LE - Turn them in for a reward.
NE - Whisper to them that they "owe them one".
CE - Wait until the thief is outside and then steal what they stole from them.
Nailed it

Remove ads