• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you use Shadow?

Peterson

First Post
So, I'm thinking of running a Shadow-Chasers and/or an Urban Arcana game, but I don't know exactly how I want to protray the shadow aspects.

How do you do it - or do you just ignore it?

Thanks.

Peterson

Ranger REG

Explorer
If I use mostly Urbana Arcana, I'd ignore the Shadow, make it more like Shadowrun or -- if I'm feeling giddy -- a modern-day version of Faerun (a la Forgotten Realms).

If I use mostly [smallcaps]Shadow Chasers,[/smallcaps] I'd enforce the Shadow. The idea is not to let the general public know that the monsters (besides themselves) are living among them.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I've only played in Urban Arcana, and then only for a short time.

The way the GM ran it, there were enough people that knew about Shadow that in the bit we played ... it never really came up.

I was playing a magic-using investigator, another guy was playing a dwarf, and I think we had an elf as well. So we were all "of Shadow" as it was, and our one investigation focused on creatures from Shadow as well ... IIRC, there was a Shadow slum that the rest of the town just ... didn't talk about ...

The GM was a civil engineer type and he was very in depth about how populations settle cities and whatnot, and his figuring was that over a few years Shadow denizens would clump together, even if they were normally enemies, in the least desireable area of town, the traditionally socioeconomically disadvantaged ... which would force out the normal citizens there over time, creating some tensions and unrest in the city.

As far as I know, I'm pretty sure he used Shadow just as its portrayed ... normal people see something they can accept, and try to move on and away as quickly as possible. It's not an ogre, its a REALLY big scary guy, etc. Get a whole part of town teeming with stuff normal people won't admit is there, they pretty much won't admit that part of town is there either.

--fje

Remove ads