• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you work multiple opponents with Lair Actions?

Quartz

Hero
Suppose the PCs are up against a pair of dragons. Both dragons have lair actions per the MM. Would you allow both dragons to use a lair action at the same time or would you limit it to one or the other but not both? How about generally?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'd say each dragon can use a Lair Action, but in some cases using the same Lair Action again causes a previous effect to end e.g. the green dragon's wall of tangled brush.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
Both get their Lair actions and Legendary Actions if they have those. If the PCs are facing 2 Dragons, they need to feel the full brunt of that choice. Running is always an option that should be allowed.

Quartz

Hero
So, extend this to a situation with 10+ critters where, per the MM, each has lair actions. Do you still let each critter have those lair actions? Or restrict it to just the boss critter(s)?

Pickles III

First Post
This must surely be a ruling thing. There is no way I am trying to administer 10+ lair actions.

I would let the boss have them & maybe improve them based on the minions. If there was no boss just power up the lair actions a bit.

(Is it in a module? I believe you are supposed to use them all but nuts to that)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I would say, it is one lair, the lair only gets one action. But the actions would continue until all who can claim the lair are killed.

Remove ads