• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you work sex into your campaign?

Wolfen Priest said:
I have to admit I deviate from the norm in this regard, at least if the posts in this thread are anything to go on.

The last time I DM'ed, an elven bard character tried to seduce a young human lass who worked at the little bed & breakfast at which they were staying, but his (lower Cha) elven wizard companion decide to simply cast charm person on her instead.

So rather than fading to black, we did go into some detail, making Fortitude saves and such... the player doesn't actually know it yet, but next time they run into that thorp, he may well run into his half-elven progeny (and yes, I did roll for it: it's a boy). :D

Hmm... What % chance did you assign for her to become pregnant?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Utrecht and Hand of Evil:

Yes, once upon a time, such things were fashionable. However, contrary to what Madison Avenue tries to sell you these days, not everything fashionable is sexy.

I'm not sure I buy the "battlefield prowess to bedroom prowess" analogy, because there were lots of codpieces worn as clothing, rather than battlefield armor. And even if I did buy the analogy, that doesn't make it sexy. The fact that the general tries to equate the two doesn't mean that the resulting piece of clothing or armor really made the gent more attracitve to the ladies.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
I find that extremely disturbing.

:(

Well so did I, quite frankly, but the bard had a Cha of 18, and the wizard's was 12 (so he wasn't a gimp or anything). Plus, the bard was Chaotic Neutral and had just rolled a natural 20 on his perform check, so basically the whole town thought he was Elvis the Elf. He intended to just use this little barn-lass anyway, more or less, so the neutral wizard decided to one-up him with his magic.

The wizard's plan took me by surprise, but who was I to agrue? It didn't defy his ethics as far as I could reason, so we turned it into kind of a joke. Pretty entertaining, really. :p

Moe Ronalds

First Post
I try to use the "fade to black" method unless something vital will happen during the... action. Such as the pretty young lass turning into a wererat when the moonlight falls on her. :D

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
Wolfen Priest said:
so basically the whole town thought he was Elvis the Elf.

Oh, god. That is soooo funny...

I can just picture an elf in a white leisure suit, studded with rhinestones, shaking his hips and singing "Heartbreak Hotel"! :D

hunter1828

Agback

Explorer
G'day

I pretty much only work sex into my campaigns as a motivating factor for characters. It is often clear that characters are Doin' It, and almost always that case that they are after It. Sex is second only to politics as a force driving the action in my campaigns. But I've never seen a lot of need to detail the action.

Regards,

Agback

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Jürgen Hubert said:
The players announce that their characters want to go into a whorehouse, and I ask them how much money they want to spend.
:rolleyes:

What is it with DnD players and brothels anyway?

Off screen if even there at all.

While yes, 80% of all magic should be related to issues of sex and relationships, I don't need to go into that in game. I'll just slot all of that over to a rituals system and say you don't need to learn anything extra for it and I don't expect to be going into it during a game beyond the innuendo stage:

"Siloosa also carries a fine line of enchanted candles in her shop. She tells you they should help win over that special someone in your life."

Darth Shoju

First Post
hunter1828 said:

Oh, god. That is soooo funny...

I can just picture an elf in a white leisure suit, studded with rhinestones, shaking his hips and singing "Heartbreak Hotel"! :D

hunter1828

Elfis Presley!

:D

*groaning, throwing of vegetables*

Allright, allright...I just had to try. :(

Utrecht

First Post
Umbran said:
Utrecht and Hand of Evil:

Yes, once upon a time, such things were fashionable. However, contrary to what Madison Avenue tries to sell you these days, not everything fashionable is sexy.

I'm not sure I buy the "battlefield prowess to bedroom prowess" analogy, because there were lots of codpieces worn as clothing, rather than battlefield armor. And even if I did buy the analogy, that doesn't make it sexy. The fact that the general tries to equate the two doesn't mean that the resulting piece of clothing or armor really made the gent more attracitve to the ladies.

While I certainly agree with you on the first point - and mabye it is because I am getting older......

But regarding the second - a lot of the armour that I saw from the 1200 - 1400 seems to promintely feature endowed cod-pieces - espcially the ceremonial stuff - hence the link between martial skill and bedroom skill. Additionally, I do not seem to think that it is seen as sexy - but more as an advertisement - in much the same way as actors stuffing their pants.

Obviously this is one of those things that sociologist really dig into and I have seen (IIRC) debates on both sides.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads