• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How does 4E hold up on verisimilitude?

Keltheos said:
I think that's the point. Is the use of the word appropriate in the situation or not? And since the level of propriety is partially determined by the author's intent when s/he chose the word it does speak to their mindset.

Absolutely and if you, like Mistwell, seem to believe that all New Yorker writers are simply trying to offend the working class and make smug the upper-middle and academic classes, then you need to seriously re-assess your own ability to understand other people's mindsets. Assigning such negative motives doesn't just border on the hateful or extremist, it actually is hateful and extremist, redolent of class-war angst (and none of those words are chosen to be elitist - I could say it "stinks like poor versus rich hatred feeling/stress", but that's clumsy and less accurate, and indeed, barely English at all!).

I think we can agree that by writing on the internet, especially writing about a game which frequently uses unusual words (don't make me go through the powers of the classes!) and expects us to understand them by context, a far larger vocabulary than might otherwise be the case becomes appropriate.

Keltheos

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
Absolutely and if you, like Mistwell, seem to believe that all New Yorker writers are simply trying to offend the working class and make smug the upper-middle and academic classes, then you need to seriously re-assess your own ability to understand other people's mindsets. Assigning such negative motives doesn't just border on the hateful or extremist, it actually is hateful and extremist, redolent of class-war angst (and none of those words are chosen to be elitist - I could say it "stinks like poor versus rich hatred feeling/stress", but that's clumsy and less accurate, and indeed, barely English at all!).

I think you missed the point.

I think we can agree that by writing on the internet, especially writing about a game which frequently uses unusual words (don't make me go through the powers of the classes!) and expects us to understand them by context, a far larger vocabulary than might otherwise be the case becomes appropriate.

Definitely.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Ruin Explorer said:
I think we can agree that by writing on the internet, especially writing about a game which frequently uses unusual words (don't make me go through the powers of the classes!) and expects us to understand them by context, a far larger vocabulary becomes appropriate.

I would say this is particularly true when the term describes or is directly related to the very concept you are talking about.
Imagine if we were talking about siege engines. Would it be inappropriate to use the terms trebuchet or torsion-powered just because they belong to a vocabulary you don't hear every day? Or if discussing how to get smoother performance and more gas mileage out of your standard transmission, would we have to use "thing that displays RPMs" instead of tachometer?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ruin Explorer said:
Well exactly, and I'm quite sure Mistwell does think they're being elitist, as he's so strange that he thinks lawyers using technical terminology amongst themselves are being elitist.

I don't think that, I know that (about lawyers). I've been one for almost 14 years now, and it's a known topic in the field. I even took a seminar in that topic. It was initially a very intentional thing, to make people think they needed a lawyer to accomplish even the most simple legal tasks like drafting a buy/sell contract. Would you really like the historical examples where it's bloody obvious they were being elitists?

As someone with an unusually broad vocabulary myself, I've always found it extremely irritating that there are some people in the world, inevitably the ones who do know what the words you're using mean, who demand that you not use them because it's possible that someone might not. Even though, nine times out of ten, the potentially-confused person knows what you mean via context or because they've got a larger vocabulary than the self-proclaimed anti-elistist judged them to have.

In this case, we don't have to debate it, because we know for sure the use of the word has caused a great deal of confusion, and continues to do so. And you just had a new person come here unsolicited and say it spooked them (in so many words). So for all your theoretical irritation over that general issue, with this specific issue it's applicable. You are not communicating well when you use that word in this forum. You are excluding people when you use that word in this forum. Now your position might be "Tough S". And that's fine (though you have to deal with the ramifications). But let's not pretend it communicates the concept well, or doesn't exclude people.

Frankly, it's rude and condescending behaviour on the part of the "anti-elistists". If you're never exposed to unusual vocabulary, your vocabulary will never grow, and you will never learn the words which have more precise meanings which are appropriate to their particular use, nor can you judge what words someone knows the meaning of particularly easily or reliably. Many people know the meaning of words they can't spell, others ones they can't pronounce, but recognize when others say them.

After the third or forth thread involving many people being confused about this word, I find it laughable that you think people are being rude and condescending when they tell you that you are failing to communicate well when you use that word. If you are trying to communicate the meaning of that word, you're failing at it. I suggested a method to better communicate, and you are free to accept or reject that advice. But don't whine that I am being rude or condescending to you by pointing out what is bloody obvious to most people - that the use of the word verisimilitude isn't working, and it's just making things worse.

Versimilitude IS the right word,

It's "A" right word, not "THE" right word. There are other words that are just as correct, but which communicate better. That's my point.

and it's really, truly absurd to suggest that it's "elitist" to use it amongst generally well-educated people with access to the internet.

It's elitist to use it amongst generally well-educated people with access to the internet after you know it causes confusion and fails to communicate what you are trying to communicate to those people, over and over again.

At worst, one can find out exactly what it means in under five seconds via Google http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/verisimilitude and even that "bad" situation means you vocabulary has increased.

And yet, it's failed repeatedly to work as a word here. And you just heard from a newbie his reaction to seeing that word. But you still think your principals are more important than communication and community? And I am the one being rude?

In the end, obsessive hounding of "elitism" is just another form of aggressive exclusionary behaviour, and this is something we see often in Britain with the class problems British society still suffers from. I'd be interested to hear what Mistwell though of people who speak dialects (much more common in the UK than US, of course). Are the "obscure" words they use attempts to keep people out or merely the appropriate words to them?

We have that problem in the U.S. as well, and there is no question some people who speak with an affected dialect who use obscure words are doing it intentionally as elitist snobs trying to exclude the riff-raff. It happens in the north east region the most (New England), and usually by old-wealth people in locations like the Hamptons in New York. Its become a running joke, as represented by characters like Thurston Howell III on the TV Show Gilligan's Island.

But really, I care a lot less about intent than results. I don't much care if you use the word because you are actually an elitist or because you just like the word and think it fits. I care that many people don't know what you mean, that it keeps coming up that people don't know what you mean, and that new people see that word being thrown around and they think "this place isn't for me".

Agamon

Adventurer
ForbidenMaster said:
The problem is healing. One can easily make the assumption that being bloodied means that you are physically wounded, and that not being bloodied means that you arent. So if one accepts that as true, it doesnt make sense when a character can go from being bloodied to not being bloodied from a word of encouragement.

My solution is simple: dont make the assumption that bloodied means your character is physically bloody in game.

It was a really bad word choice with regards to people who actually care about stuff like this, but I think that it works well for the visceral aspect of D&D.

We have known since 1ed that when you hit a target, in game it doesnt make sense if you physically hit it. It has never made sense that a character can do the same amount of damage to one character as they do to another character that is the same in every other way except level, yet have one die and the other treat the hit as nothing.

However, when we play and we really get into it, we do say that we stabbed the buy in the chest, or whatever. It doesnt make sense if it were actually happening in game, but most gamers enjoy the visceral aspect of that narration of combat. That is where bloodied comes into play. It appeals to the visceral aspect of D&D, nothing more. Trying to apply the word in game as anything more than a win meter and a mechanical trigger just messes things up.

Yes, exactly. Everyone knows what happens when one assumes....

Bloodied is of course a misnomer. The way I see it, a mortal wound only happened if a PC dies from it. A visciously mortal wound (head lopped off) only if death is automatic from the blow (dropped enough into negs to die).

Otherwise, those hits aren't really solid hits. They're glances, scratches, bruises, even after you're bloodied. Bloodied is the point where it's all starting to wear on you. And even after using a healing surge, you're still scratched, bruised and tired, you're just manning up and toughing it out. As those surges run out, you get more hurt and tired until you need to rest. Next day, though you're at full hp, that doesn't mean you're in perfect health, but you are rested and have your resolve back.

HPs and everything associated with them are abstracts. Unfortunately, the names are not the best. Bloodied, HPs, hits, healing surges...only second wind really is worded well.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Mister Doug said:
I would argue that PCs were always superhuman compared to average characters, back to AD&D 1e with it "zero-level" commoners.
However, there was a logical progression from 0th to 1st level (and even an adventure designed such that you could RP your character through it if you so desired), and it wasn't that big a jump; about the same as from 1st to 2nd level, and so on.

4e takes that 0th-to-1st jump and makes it a quantum leap.

Or, let's try another angle: how, in 4e, can I generate a Human adventurer - of any class or none - that has 5 hit points? (hint: "you can't" is not an acceptable answer...)

Lanefan

Lanefan said:
However, there was a logical progression from 0th to 1st level (and even an adventure designed such that you could RP your character through it if you so desired), and it wasn't that big a jump; about the same as from 1st to 2nd level, and so on.

4e takes that 0th-to-1st jump and makes it a quantum leap.

Or, let's try another angle: how, in 4e, can I generate a Human adventurer - of any class or none - that has 5 hit points? (hint: "you can't" is not an acceptable answer...)

Lanefan
Why is "you can't" not acceptable?
Why do I have to be able to reach a certain hit point value? And what has this to do with believability or verisimilitude?

I can make arbitrary demands, too: How do I get an Antimagic Cone Eye in 3E Core?

Last edited:

On Puget Sound

First Post
Obryn said:
There's no physical reason given why, for instance, fighters can only use their better powers once per day.
-O

I did come up with a rationalization for that.

Some of your fighting moves are standard things you do in every fight.

Some require a bit of luck, or cooperation from a careless opponent, or the right circumstance...but it's a situation that turns up in most fights, like a move that only succeeds when your opponent is winded or gets too angry to think straight. You watch for those situations and when they come up you use your "encounter" power.

Then there are those special signature moves that only work when everything falls together. If your foe leads with his knee, or drops his shoulder when he swings, or tries the Fionello Parry against your Four Swans Chop, you have a devastating counter. But you can't count on that combination happening in every fight. These are your "daily" powers, because on average you'll ony be able to create the conditions to pull them off about once in every 3 to 5 fights.

So the rules are just an abstraction of the likelihood of your being able to succeed at your more difficult maneuvers. It could be simulated with a percentage chance in each fight, or even in each round, but this system is way more streamlined and has the benefit (for players) that your best abilities work when you need them most, rather than on some random minion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads