• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does Advancement really work?

Kroax

Explorer
Note: None of my players should read this thread!

Second, I would like to point out that I have already read the text in the Monster Manual, so there's no point in telling me to read it again, unless you think I missed something.

My problem is that I wanted to create a large worg of human intelligence, so I sat down and read the rules for anvancement. Here are some things I didn't come across that I wish I had:
  • Challenge Rating: How do I normally determine the CR of an advanced creature? Is it the originally HD multiplied with 1 + a tenth of the added HD?
  • Ability Increase: The text seems to only explain which ability scores increases/decreases when you alter their size category. I would like to know how I'm supposed to increase some of the other scores, INT for instance.
  • New CR: How do I determine the CR of the creature with increased INT?
  • Class Levels: How can I give this creature some levels in of one of the PHB classes?

Am I missing something here?

Maybe it would be easier to just create a new monsters, using worg as guidelines. I don't know...

In that case I would appreciate if someone could help me creating it or give me some guidelines.

Thanks in advance!

Kyramus

First Post
Take large worg, read awaken spell, then you have large worg with intelligence.

Classes, most likely the easiest classes to give a worg would be barbarian or fighter with feats that focus on bite.

CR would be worg + level
Size change with ability increase due to size is discussed in the front pages of Monster Manual.

I can help you out more when I am at home with all my books. Can't do that at work. :)

mikebr99

Explorer
Here is the Awaken Spell:
Awaken
Transmutation
Level: Drd 5
Components: V, S, F, XP
Casting Time: One day
Range: Touch
Target: Animal or tree touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
The character awakens a tree or animal to humanlike sentience. To succeed, the character must make a Will save (DC 10 + the
target's HD, or the HD the tree will have once awakened).
The awakened animal or tree is friendly toward the character. The character has no special empathy or connection with a
creature the character awakens, although it serves the character in specific tasks or endeavors if the character can communicate
the character's desires to it.
An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an animated object, except that its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma
scores are all 3d6. Awakened plants gain the ability to move their limbs, roots, vines, creepers, etc., and have senses similar to
a human's.
An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD.
An awakened tree or animal can speak one language that the character knows, plus one additional language that the character
knows per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).
XP Cost: 250 XP.
I would consider the Rogue class for an Awakened Worg... Then maybe Assassin PrC??

Kroax

Explorer
mikebr99 said:
I would consider the Rogue class for an Awakened Worg... Then maybe Assassin PrC??

Actually I was thinking more of something like Druid or maybe even Ranger with human as favored enemy. You see, he's a supporter of Malar's clergy. We are playing in Forgotten Realms if you hadn't already guessed.

But your suggestions also sounds quite interesting. Maybe multiclassing... *Sound of evil DM's brain starting to work*

mikebr99

Explorer
Kroax said:

Actually I was thinking more of something like Druid or maybe even Ranger with human as favored enemy. You see, he's a supporter of Malar's clergy. We are playing in Forgotten Realms if you hadn't already guessed.

But your suggestions also sounds quite interesting. Maybe multiclassing... *Sound of evil DM's brain starting to work*
I was thinking Rogue... because Worgs already have a high DEX (15), and fairly good skills:

Hide +7, Listen +9, Move Silently +7, Spot +9, Wilderness Lore +2
Feats: Alertness

And adding Sneak attack damage to the bite just seems like a natural... and really nasty! ;)

[edit] But Ranger sounds good also!

Last edited:

Kroax

Explorer
Oh, one more thing. I'm thinking on making him a returning villian, fleeing when he realizes that he's losing the encounter, after a tough battle against the Pcs. So I'd rather not want him killed in his first encounter with the PCs.

It also means that he can gain more class levels for the next time he's about to meet the PCs.

Right now the PCs are at level three, but I'd like him to be a bit more tough than their normal monster, making him a bit of a miniboss. His main objective is to try and kill the partys druid.

Targos

First Post
Awaken only works on animals and trees, worgs are magical beasts. Its pretty unusual for creatures that can't use equipment to have class levels. Try a worg half-fiend.

It might have bat wings.
Now it has claw attacks too.
Increased stats (now human intelligence) and some magic powers.
Some hefty resistances and more skill points.

That will double the challenge of the beast.

the Jester

Legend
Targos said:
Its pretty unusual for creatures that can't use equipment to have class levels.

Unusual, but not unheard of.

One of the most memorable opponents I've faced in 3e was an otyugh rogue in a sewer. He kept ducking under the sewage and taking the time to sneak around so he could get in sneak attacks. He killed two members of our party and the rest of us just got the hell out of there.

Henry

Autoexreginated
THREEPIO! Shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level! Shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level!

Remove ads