• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does Banewarrens compare?

applenerd

First Post
I'm curious if anyone has bought banewarrens yet? How does it compare with Monte's other adventures? Without any spoilers is it worth the 10$? I'm one of those folks that typically likes to get printed adventures mostly because when I'm running them I mark them up with my own notes (my god is that allowed! :D ) but I might pick up the pdf now and grab the printed version later if it's good.

I guess the main reason I'm so curious is because my group is really enjoying rtttoee right now. People's thoughts and impressions are welcome...

Last edited:

jhilahd

Explorer
First off, great question.

In a word. Yes. I picked it up(or downloaded then picked it up) the other night. I am about a quarter of the way into it. This is a major campaign. And in my opinion, probably some of the best work he has done to date. I liked Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil... but this... this rocks.

With some minor adjustments and character plots added, I found I could easily adapt this to my current Forgotten Realms game and send my party to Westgate(nearest big city/with weird things and multicultural stuff in it.)

For $10 bucks, yes it is worth it. New items, new villians, more playing possibilities than RttToEE with major long time effects. The fact you will print it out and can mark on it is a major plus. And if it gets messed up, big deal. You can just print out another copy. Whereas, you'd want to buy another Printed version if that version got messed up, what a pain. i.e. had coke spilled on it, pages torn out, or other possible destruction. And if you put it on a CD(or two) you always have a back up version. How cool is that?

I printed out my copy, 3-hole punched it and placed it in a new 3 ring binder(THE campaign binder) and have begun making plans within plans.

I'm biased, as I like this game. Or at least what I have read about it so far. I'm excited about running it and can't wait to start dropping in the plot threads to lead my group there.

but... again, this is my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Jhilahd

Dave Blewer

First Post
I second that recomendation!

My group are also seriously enjoying RttToEE, but Banewarrens (IMHO) is better than even that great opus.

Buy it. Download it. Enjoy it.

psionotic

Looks very, very good

Obviously, I haven't been able to run it yet, but after flipping about half way through it, it looks incredibly cool this far. I haven't been this excited to run a published module since I picked up "Madness in Freeport"...

Madfox

First Post
It is one of the few adventures that I have read immidiately from the moment I bought it. I can tell you, that it is well worth those $10,-. Though if you are looking for a simple dungeon crawl for a one shot session, you will not do this adventure justice. I think it works best in a campaign where the DM is willing to spend some time. After all, there are several groups entering the dungeon and hence influencing the area. Not to mention that a mistake by any of these groups can have a lasting impact on the area. Hence it works better if the PCs have got a connection with the world around them. There are also some great parts of this adventure that take place outside the dungeon. There is also a little bit more consistency in the selection of opponents then in for example Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Then there is the end fight, which contains a quite original concept (at least for a typical fantasy adventure) ;)

Remove ads