• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does Boromir keep fighting?

ReignofGeekaos

First Post
Alright in the vain of Describe how Aragorn beat the Ringwraiths, I present another question to you? How does Boromir keep fighting, and killing those Orc's while he's defending Merry, and Pippin, using Dungeons and Dragon's rules.

Now there are a few things we can assume, one each of the Arrows he was shot with was a Critical, two he may have gone down below 0 Hp and kept fighting, Two, He somehow was able to keep fighting the Orc's even though he probably used up his attacks per round, three, he is most likely a high level fighter if not anything else, and four the size of those arrows leaves me to believe that every round he kept fighting they hurt him more, so let's say they where arrows of wounding.

So here you go how did Boromir keep fighting, and killing countless Orc's, even though he was badly wounded, and had used up his attacks per round most likely used up.

The reason I asked because recently I've been watching this scene over, and over I guess you could say it struck a nerve with me.

Scupper

First Post
*puts on geek hat ... oh, who am I kidding, I never take it off*

Well, Boromir is a near-epic level fighter, so I would have to argue the contention that he is below 0 hp while he is still up and fighting.

On the contrary, it is quite clear the the DM is using the "clobbered" variant rules and Boromir, cursed by his poor roleplaying choices regarding the ring, has fumbled several of his fort saves when critically hit.

His attacks per round are hardly in question. He easily has 3-4 attacks per round, judging from his performance in Moria. Additionally, he likely has Combat Reflexes, so each of the Uruk-Hai that runs up to attack him provokes an attack of opportunity.

Well, there goes my self esteem down another notch. I hope you're happy.

Two options: a) which is a bit of a hand-wave -- each arrow did a lot of damage, but didn't bring him to zero until the third, and b) isn't there a feat somewhere that lets you keep fighting until you actually die at -10? Can't remember where that feat is published, but it'd probably do the job here. After the fight is over, IIRC, you essentially keel over and act pretty much like everyone else in their negative hit points, which explains why he was dying when Aragorn came to him.

I wouldn't call Boromir epic, though. Or any of the other "PCs" of the movie.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Boromir had one level of Barbarian, and the Instantaneous Rage feat. When he got hit by the first arrow, it had taken him to negative hit points.

He instantly hit rage, and gained a pool of temporary hit points due to the CON boost. Then, Lurg (or whatever the Uruk-Hai's name was) hit him again, to push him back to lower hit points. He fights on.

Finally, he got hit a third time, for the final push to either Negative or Zero Hit points (let's say zero, because he needs that cool speech to Aragorn).

By the end, Aragorn can only look at him helplessly, because they both know that when the adrenalin wears off, he's gonna plunge DEEP into negative hit points. So, he makes his peace with Aragorn, and slips off into final sleep.

How's that?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is the Instant Rage really necessary? If he has a high Con, he could have Raged normally before the first arrow hit, and the end result's the same.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Umbran said:
Is the Instant Rage really necessary? If he has a high Con, he could have Raged normally before the first arrow hit, and the end result's the same.

Except that people with positive hit points normally don't have arrows deeply emedded in their right breast, near their hearts. :) At least, I seem to recall that's where the first arrow hit him when I watched it last week. So I needed the instant rage to explain why we actually kept going after that first "crit hit."

Oooh, that's a good solution too. And given Boromir's character (not terribly concerned with learning, much more "glory" and "war" focused, not the same discipline or wisdom as Faramir) it could actually make sense, too.

ReignofGeekaos

First Post
I just thought he had Power Attack, Cleave, and great Cleave, and everytime one of the Urak Hai kept attacking him they provoked an AoA and he kept killing them, so he kept cleaving them down too.

Still, I'm not sure that Boromir could ever be described in terms of being a 'barbarian.'

Rage just doesn't work, IMO. However, the feat that lets you keep moving after getting below 0 HP works for me (it's from FRCS I think), and the entire scene can be explained using it as well.

Boromir is a high level fighter, and a badass to boot. He regularly uses a bastard sword 1 handed (indicating the feat) though he can obviously use it without his shield (as evidence by his fighting at Amon Hen).

As a high level fighter, Boromir gets several attacks per round, easily slaying these low level orcs. Furthermore, as pointed out in a previous post, having combat reflexes and great cleave would explain several things as well.

Of the three arrows, I think the first one was definitely a crit, though the second and third were probably not. However, due to their size, I'd rule that they get a higher damage die than standard arrows... maybe a d8 or something (or just a mighty bow, which would be more simple than changing the rules around).

I do believe, however, that Boromir was in negative hitpoints by the time the third arrow hit him... there is no doubt that the fourth arrow would have killed him instantly.

Too bad he didn't stabilize. Guess the hands of the king aren't the hands of the healer if the wounded man in question has 3 bigass arrows in him.

Of course, in the book he was dead when they found him, with about a dozen arrows in him.

Man, I'm a dork.

-F

Someone

Adventurer
Aragorn was a really wicked boy is he saw Boromir at negatives and didn´t tried to make a Heal check, I believe. I see Boromir at -7 or -8 while Lurtz were going to deal te coup the grace and already "dead" when he calls Aragorn "my King" (with great dismay of homophobes everywhere) Dead or "beyond mortal healing" what cares if the "player" wants some final words?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads