• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how does "calling a mount" work for a Paladin?

Mystendanian

First Post
Is it like summoning a creature? Whenever he wants it, it is there, and whenver he wants to release it, he can? Does it just vanish in a puff of smoke?

Or, is it more like the Paladin prays to his diety for it and one day it comes running up and stays with him the rest of his days?

Myst

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Mystendanian said:
Is it like summoning a creature? Whenever he wants it, it is there, and whenver he wants to release it, he can? Does it just vanish in a puff of smoke?

Or, is it more like the Paladin prays to his diety for it and one day it comes running up and stays with him the rest of his days?

Myst

Think Pokemon ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
In 3.5 the paladin simply gets the ability to call the mount when he reaches 5th level. No quest required, unlike 1e/2e.

The calling is for the most part the same as a summoning with a lot of subtle differences. One biggy is that a called creatures is actually physically present and theorectically can gain all the benefits and liabilities of that status. For the paladin mount, that means the paladin may equip the mount and the mount may be killed. (I look at summoned creatures as disposable magical photocopies of the platonic ideal. They do not really die. Or live.)

Does the mount just appear and disappear in a puff of smoke? In a word, yes.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Do you call the same exact mount every time? Or, if I call a horse, will it be a different horse every time?

Slightly off-topic, and this is in response to Ridley's comment... We play that, when you summon a creature (monster, animal, what have you), that you pretty much take them from somewhere in the world. If you summon a Dire Bear for example, it could have been happily frolicing in the woods, by itself, minding it's own business, then ZAP... he is ported into the middle of combat, "forced" to fight for the summoner...

We usually do this for plot hooks and such. For example, one time I had a high level Mage summon the low level PC group to fight for him, hehe.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
RigaMortus said:
Do you call the same exact mount every time? Or, if I call a horse, will it be a different horse every time?

Same exact horse. That means you could equip the horse with magic items if you so desire.

Your interpretation of Summon is closer to the book than mine. In previous editions I have played some really peculiar one-shot combats where we were summoned by a high level conjurer.

Gnimish88

First Post
RigaMortus said:

Slightly off-topic, and this is in response to Ridley's comment... We play that, when you summon a creature (monster, animal, what have you), that you pretty much take them from somewhere in the world. If you summon a Dire Bear for example, it could have been happily frolicing in the woods, by itself, minding it's own business, then ZAP... he is ported into the middle of combat, "forced" to fight for the summoner...

We usually do this for plot hooks and such. For example, one time I had a high level Mage summon the low level PC group to fight for him, hehe.

Exact same mount, which appears with its equipment and stays for 2 hours per paladin level. This could get inconvenient below 12th level if you find yourself unexpectedly needing a horse...

Legildur

First Post
Mystendanian said:
Where did you find that 2 hrs/level thing?

The SRD is always a good place to start, failing that, the core books. From the SRD (my emphasis):

Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains for 2 hours per paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.

Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed.

And this quote also answers some of the other questions raised.....

Last edited:

RigaMortus

Explorer
Thats a pretty good feature, to dismiss the mount at will... well, as a free action i mean... Especially if you have a sadistic DM that gets you in bad perdictament.

BBEG, as he holds a sword to the throat of the Paladin's mount: Take one more step, and your faithful stead dies.

The BBEG readies to see if you surrender

Paladin: unsummon the mount...

heh....

LordAO

First Post
Mystendanian said:

Myst

Well, first you must catch it in a special device called a pokeball. These wonderful devices can be thrown at the creature you wish to be your mount (make a ranged touch attack). If you hit it, the mount then magically shrinks and is stored inside the Pokeball. As part of the pokeball's wonderous magic, you don't have to worry about feedind it, gviing it air, or even letting it out for exercise.

Then, when you need it, pull out the pokeball and toss it onto the ground while pronouncing your mount's name followed by the words "I choose you." The mount will then serve you faithfully for a few hours after which it will be magically pulled back inside the pokeball, ready to be called again tomorrow.

:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads