• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does darkvision stack?

This has come up in an actual campaign and I remember reading somewhere about the solution, but I can't recall where.

If a PC has darkvision already and joins a prestige class that gives darkvision at lvl 3 again. What happens to the PC's darkvision range? (assuming he started out with 60' to begin with)

At level 5 in this prestige class it states their darkvision range doubles. What then?

I can see 2 possible outcomes, but I'm not sure which.

Either the PC's darkvision would double at level 3 to 120' and then at the 5th lvl in the prestige class it would add +60' more OR

Adding darkvision at the 3rd lvl would not add additional range, with the doubling to actually happen at the 5th lvl in the prestige class.

Thoughts? Ideas? Has anyone seen in the DMG or some other source how this is handled?

hammymchamham

First Post
edit: maybe I should have read your post eh?

At lvl 3 it would add 60, thus increase to 120. If the PC's dark vision is now 120, doubleing it would go to 240 (wow).

This is of course if the 3rd level Dark vision stacks with racial dark vision (not all PrC's darkvision stacks, but some do (and state so))

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads