• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does dispelling/counterspelling work?

Zephalon

First Post
Do spells like daylight automatically counter/dispel spells like darkness or do they just temporary cancel each other out in areas where they overlap? Can you make a targeted dispel to totally dispel the other spell? Is a spellcaster check necessary like with dispel magic?

kengar

First Post
First off, check out this article.

Second, in the spell description for Daylight it says "Daylight counters or dispels any darkness spell of equal or lower level, such as darkness." Usually a spell will tell you what it counters (if anything).

Third, check out page p.152 of the PHB and the spell description for Dispel Magic.

Reading back, I realized that this might sound like I'm trying to be rude, I'm not. It's a good question and one that can get really confusing during play. My problem is that I'm not familiar enough with these rules myself just to answer you off the cuff, so I'm fobbing you off on a "reading assignment" :D

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
If the areas of light and darkness simply intersect, then they temporarily cancel each other in the region of overlap. Once the sources are moved away from each other, both spells keep functioning normally.

If one is intentionally cast to dispel the other, then both effects end, without a caster level check. Say you have haste running, and I hit you with a slow spell. There is no saving throw or level check; the haste spell automatically ends, and that's the only effect of my casting.

Counterspelling also requires no caster level check. If I ready an action to counterspell you, and you cast haste, I can counter it with either another haste or a slow. Both choices work the same way, and your spell fizzles without effect.

Zephalon

First Post
Ok, so they cancel each other out where they overlap or dispel each other if cast on the same target. Thats how I handled it last time.

With dispel magic you need to beat the other caster on a caster level check. Does this also apply here? Automatic dispels seem kind of lame to me. A 5th level cleric dispelling a hierophants darkness spell?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Zephalon said:

With dispel magic you need to beat the other caster on a caster level check. Does this also apply here?
Nope. Countering with an opposite spell always works.

By analogy, I consider the two dispel methods to be like the two ways of opening a lock. Countering with an opposite effect is like using the key; it always works, as long as you have the appropriate key in your pocket (i.e., you have that opposite spell prepared). Dispel magic is like a set of lockpicks; it can be applied to anything, but you need a little bit of skill and luck to make it work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads