• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does Eberon handle alignment

mcbmagic

First Post
Hi,

I've heard some interesting things on how Eberron handles alignment, but nothing specific. Can someone please enlighten me, or point me to a web site that explains it. Thanks.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It's a really simple change that in a typical D&D game make a large difference.

In Eberron, the Alignment Descriptor on all monsters is not set in stone. Replace that "always" with "often" or "usually." There can be good vampires, evil unicorns, Druidic Green Dragons serving beneficent Druid circles promoting man-nature harmony, etc.

Also, all clerics do NOT have to be within one step of their gods' alignments. There can be Evil Clerics serving Lawful Good Gods because they believe that torture and inquisitions and even sometimes assassinations are the only way to purge "wickedness" from the Holy Church. An evil cleric serving a good god can still have a good aura, by the rules.

Finally, belief is what's necessary for divine power, not presence and activity of the god. All Eberron gods are remote, and small cults can even have spellcasters based on worship of mortal individuals.

It's an atmosphere that makes more film noir than traditional D&D. It also makes things like actual investigations and inquisitions more believeable.

Hope this helps!

Eberron Alignment...

A minor quote: "Alignments are blurred, so thats it's possible to encounter an evil silver dragon or a good vampire. Traditionally good-aligned creatures may wind up opposed to the heroes, while well known agents of evil might provide assistance when it's least expected."

It still is on your character sheet. Holy Swords still exists, as do [Evil] and [Good] subtypes.

But, some things are missing. Specifically any spell effect or ability that allows you to 'read' or detect someones alignment. The Planes are different, none of them are aligned [Good] or [Evil].. so an 'Angel' may really have other things in mind. The Gods are not strongly involved in the mortal world.. you can be a Cleric of Dol Arrah, a [Good] diety but have slid treachorously away from the faith, but still able to cast spells, using your false faith to gain position and power while truely working for the Mockery.

Creatures, such as Gnolls and BugBears are relatively common in the cosmopolitan market places of the world. Even an occasional Troll bodyguard might be sighted with a delegation from the 'monster' country of Droam.

The world can be much more complex. Who is the Half-Elven representative from Cannith really working for? Herself? Some other faction?
Does your character care? More importantly, do your players care?

Eberron can be run with alot of political subterfuge and plot/counterplot. Or it can be a really cool place to run a straight dungeon crawl.

I hope this has in some small way answered your question :)

Unseenlibrarian

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
But, some things are missing. Specifically any spell effect or ability that allows you to 'read' or detect someones alignment.

Just a minor point: The detect spells all still exist. It's just wise not to use them as "Safe to kill" radar. That evil man may be a great hero of the Last War, or even your superior in the church. (Many of which are adepts or experts, and thus still detectable as evil.)

For an example, look at the Dragonshards on the Church of the Silver Flame, which specifically have examples of Paladins using their detect evil ability.

Detecting...

Unssenlibrarian.. thanks.. I missed that...

I tried to look it up and found instead a comment in the section on possession of hiding thier aura from a Detect spell...

But you are still quite right, a Detect Evil does not mean insta-kill response.. it oculd be a simple possesion!

Again, thanks.

Staffan

Legend
Primitive Screwhead said:
But you are still quite right, a Detect Evil does not mean insta-kill response.. it oculd be a simple possesion!
And not all evil is kill-worthy. A barkeep that waters down the beer and overcharges might show up as evil - he's taking money he's not entitled to, after all.

Remove ads