• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does everyone find games?

Jotun

First Post
I started a Yahoo!Group for gamers in my area. In less than a month, my group has 24 members. Even in a metro area, which mine is not, that's a fair amount of people. I made flyers for the local independant comic book shop. I also post my profile on as many "gamers seeking gamers" databases as I can. My friend Preston has a list of sites: http://udel.edu/~prawn/databases.html

Since it is a fringe hobby and the typical roleplayer isn't all that outgoing, it is harder to find like-minded individuals. They are out there. Start a Yahoo!Group. It's free and you have nothing to lose. If you build it, they will come.

Also, I suspect that many people posting here don't have anyone to play with either. It might not be everyone, or even a majority, but there are a lot more than you think. My hope for them is that they too can find some people to play with.

I love ENWorld. Thanks to Morrus and all the people that make it happen!

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Re: Re: How does everyone find games?

MEG Hal said:

Got mine when we had a ENWorld Game Day, it works, playing tomorrow====woo hoo!!!!!!!!! My house, chips, drinks and Spycraft--Einstein Bagels at 9:30 ya all ;)

Sure, you think it's all fun and games until somebody gets blow away by...a Barrett M82A1 Sniper Rifle! (Hint for the non-gun bunnies...the bullet was designed to destroy tanks in WWI).

ShadowX

First Post
Well I tried a few of the things suggested and it seems the Las Vegas area has a drought of RPG players. I added my profile to a few of them to see if anything happens. That would probably explain the lack of any decent RPG shops around here.

TalonComics

First Post
I've found all the players I know and game with through my store and RPGA events. I highly recommend RPGA as a way to screen and find new players!

~D

SemperJase

First Post
I posted here, on the WotC Gamer Classified board, and posted to the my region's Living Greyhawk list when forming my group a few months ago. It took about a month, but I got more replies than places at our table. I started a wait list and we used two from that to replace the ones we lost to turnover.

I found the group I was involved in prior to this one by responding to one of those ads. That was a great group and I only left due to my work schedule change.

We use a questionaire to screen people. works great.

pogre

Legend
A great group I formed was a bunch of guys/gals that were looking for something to fo after my favorite bar closed down. They were all bartenders and cooks and only a couple of them had any gaming experience. It was a blast.

Try converting someone who is into Xbox or comic books or something like that. Make the early adventures fast and furious and be a little Monty Haul. New players make for exciting groups. It's best to play with friends who have never played pen and paper RPGs than trying to make friends with people already into pen and paper RPGs. At least that's my experience.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Crothian said:
I found my group by posting here!!! :cool:

Must be one big group... :p

I found most of my gamers in school (the small, forced environment helps). At the time only two other people played- one I didn't know, the other was the worst player I'd ever met. However, I knew that the one I didn't know too well played, so one day during a Science Project where I was assigned as his partner, I "accidentally" let slip a D&D reference and luckily he got it. From there, we went on to start a group of people who had never played before except for a few who had only played once or twice. Eventually, that group puttered out due to lack of commitment from some of the players. Eventually however, the other member who played made a call and we got no less than three brand new players, none of which had played before but two of which I actually knew pretty well. A few days later, we got another new player when I was waiting for a ride after school on a day when my Vice Principal had left her son (who my Co-GM (whose house we played at) had tied up in duct tape on take your kid to work day) at work. Well I got to talking to him and he seemed pretty cool, so now he's in the group.

Eventually, people I knew just kept hearing about the game, asking what it was, and then asked if they could join. At the moment we've got one guy who we're in the middle of initiating, and anywhere from one to three other people who may be interested in joining as a sort of clump.

Remove ads