• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does one fight with a reach weaon?

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Ideally you'd have someone fighting by your side to keep the opponent off of you. Opponents can't move through a hostile squares and at best they could move around your living shield buddy to get to you. However, as soon as he moves in the threatened area he'll take two attacks of opportunity, one from you with your spear and the other from your buddy. It would then be a simple matter for your buddy to get back in front of him the next round and for you to step back 5 feet. Counting normal attacks for 1st level characters and the attacks of opportunity the enemy would take 4 attacks per round. Some people grant the enemy a cover bonus since the buddy is in the way, make there a chance to hit the buddy, or both. If there is going to be a chance to hit your buddy then I think a feat should be created to simulate Precise Shot but for weapons with reach. I can't believe that you can safely shoot an arrow into melee but not use a spear. Personally I don't use either. You can freely move through a buddy's square while in combat but you can't attack through it? Supposedly an ally can move out of the way long enough for you to walk by but not for just the instant you stab out with your spear? Come on!!!!

Coredump

Explorer
Calico_Jack73 said:
......It would then be a simple matter for your buddy to get back in front of him the next round and for you to step back 5 feet. Counting normal attacks for 1st level characters and the attacks of opportunity the enemy would take 4 attacks per round{/quote]

If all you move is 5', then all the enemy needs to do is move 5'; thus no more AoO.
You can freely move through a buddy's square while in combat but you can't attack through it? Supposedly an ally can move out of the way long enough for you to walk by but not for just the instant you stab out with your spear? Come on!!!!
It makes sense to me. I know you are moving by me, and you can even (gently) shove past me. But unless you are going to say "I am stabbing at his left leg...NOW" then I would have no idea you are going to attack. Plus, the real problem isn't me moving, it is that you just can't see the enemy very well, and parts of him are behind parts of me, it is a timing issue.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hmm...it occurs to me that a group of glaive-trippers with combat reflexes could have all kinds of fun.

Get three trippers in a row, with their glaives; they ready an action to attack the first person to approach within 5'.

When that person approaches, they get an AoO against them. The first person tries to trip them; if they succeed, then they get a free attack. If they fail, the second person tries to trip them, and so on.

If they all fail, then as soon as the opponent reaches them, they all step back 5' and try to trip the opponent.

Once it's their turn, if the opponent is on the ground, they hack away; if the opponent is standing, they back off at least 10'. Rinse and repeat.

Betcha that'd work out to all kinds of nasty!
Daniel

The Hanged Man

First Post
Manzanita said:
For a glaive, longspear etc, which can be used at 10 feet, but not at 5 feet, how does one fight? Once in melee combat with someone with a standard weapon, what would be your options? Could you move 5 feet away every round, then strike? Or do most characters with such weapons drop them once combat is joined, and pull out a more standard weapon?

Just wondering how other people handle this, having never had a character use a reach weapon much.

Thanks.
(ignoring trips, etc.)

If you have a reach weapon:

Spring attack is most common IMX. Use your move to go forward, attack, then back so that you're 10-15 feet away (and a 5' step can't reach you). You'll get an AoO when they close to attack, they you spring attack back 5', attack, and back another 10-15'. Really annoying.

Another trick is to use a reach weapon, and thrown weapons. Stay at least 15 feet away from the opponent. On the start of your turn, use a free action to change grip to one-handed, then use quickdraw to throw daggers or axes or whatever. At the end of your turn, use a free action to change grip to two-handed. When the opponent charges, you'll get an AoO. Not quite as effective, but less feat-intensive.

Fighting somebody with a reach weapon:

Use spring attack.
Limit mobility, try to back the reach user against a wall or something, or flank the reach user.
Use sunder or grapple.

Very tactical battles.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Calico_Jack73 said:
Some people grant the enemy a cover bonus since the buddy is in the way...

Given that that's the rule, it makes sense.

... make there a chance to hit the buddy...

That's a rule in 3E, but it's only a variant rule in 3.5, not the default.

If there is going to be a chance to hit your buddy then I think a feat should be created to simulate Precise Shot but for weapons with reach. I can't believe that you can safely shoot an arrow into melee but not use a spear.

Precise Shot doesn't affect the penalty for attacking past Cover.

If you're shooting past your buddy without Precise Shot, you take a -4 penalty for firing into melee, and the opponent gains a +4 Cover bonus to AC.

If you do have Precise Shot, you don't take the penalty, but the opponent still has the Cover bonus.

Since you never take a -4 penalty for attacking into melee with a Reach weapon anyway, effectively you already have your wish - Reach weapons act like you're using a ranged weapon with the Precise Shot feat. Where's the problem? :)

-Hyp.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Incidentally, Spring Attack can work well here, as well. You're limited to one attack, but I found that jumping out from behind the dwarf, thwacking the giant, then dodging back behind him worked wonders my last game. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads