• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How does sleep interact with Multiple Attack?

Sleeping Creature gets hit with 2 attacks, what happens?

• Attack 1 Crit, Monster wakes up, Attack 2 regular

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • Attack 1 and 2 crits, Monster Wakes up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Stalker0

Legend
When a person is asleep attacks against them are automatic criticals. Further, whenever they take damage they wake up.

My question is what happens when a character with 2 attacks hits a sleeping creature. Its either:

1) 1st attack is a crit, person wakes up and is no longer incapacitated, 2nd attack is normal.
2) 2 attacks are crits, and then the person wakes up

I put a poll up to see what people think.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Assuming this is non-magical sleep, what's preventing the person from waking up before the attack is resolved?

Coroc

Hero
It would the same scenario if the two attacks would come from different opponents.

So 1 is the only obvious answer no need for a poll here.

I mean, if a critical hit does not get you wide awake, then what else would?

Your two attacks do not happen simultanously, even if you can carry them out both before any other individual at the ccene acts at their initiative segment.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I replied "3. Other". ;)

This is how I handle the situation the first time it comes up:

DM (Me): "Hmmm...ok guys. Question. Do you get all your attacks as Criticals when you attack a sleeping opponent, or do you only get the first one as a Critical and then he wakes up?"

Whatever answer they give is what goes for the campaign.

This is one of those situations that, to me, *sounds* like it would be option 1; first hit is a critical, regular after that due to the whole "takes damage" thing. However, it stands to reason that a person doesn't just suddenly "jump up on their feet, weapon ready all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed". When someone is waking up suddenly, they are confused and make stupid choices if they have to do it immediately. So that points me to option 2. So either way would be no skin off my teeth as a DM...ergo my choice to leave it in the hands of the players. With my group, they'd choose option 1 because they know that it's better for their PC's survival.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Mephista

Adventurer
I'd give all criticals, but not because of sleep. If you're asleep, you're not standing. You've fallen to the ground. Doesn't prone also grant advantage? Barring extreme niche cases....

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I also say #1 is the correct answer as far as crits are concerned... although the second attack isn't "normal" per se. The second attack is still with Advantage because the enemy is still prone.

Oofta

Legend
The first attack has advantage to hit and is a critical because they are asleep, the second attack normally has advantage because they are prone.

Remove ads