• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How does telepathy work?

CyanideSprite

First Post
So this has come up several times in my campaigns. I'm not sure where it is in the rules but how exactly is telepathy supposed to work? Can you "raise" or "lower" your telepathic voice? Can someone telepathically "scream" at their party member to wake them up? Can images be conveyed telepathically or just audible noises?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I would think that, at its 'base' level, Telepathy would work just like speaking, save that it's only audible to the receiver. It's also a 'speech-dependent' ability, meaning that the recipient must have at least some form of language in order to work; by this, one could assume that pictures are not a part of the 'base' power. In other words, if you can create an effect with your voice, it should be also possible via Telepathy.

Psionicists (in other versions of D&D) who specialize in Telepathy CAN send images etc via their mind-links, much like Illusionists can summon visual images for the eyes.

So this has come up several times in my campaigns. I'm not sure where it is in the rules but how exactly is telepathy supposed to work?
Up to you how it works if it's your campaign.

Can you "raise" or "lower" your telepathic voice?
I'd say not to any degree to impose a numeric penalty to someone's activities.

Can someone telepathically "scream" at their party member to wake them up?
I say hell no.

Can images be conveyed telepathically or just audible noises?
Language dependant telepathy can't do images IMHO. Otyugh telepathy can, but those scatophagi just send out Shock Site type images; Two Hags, one Goblet; Tubghoul; etc

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I wish there was consistent rules for something so subjective and ambiguous like this. Because it seems every person has a different idea for how it works.
There is a consistent rule: the DM decides how he wants it to work in their game. Ideally, the DM is consistent and remembers previous rules (otherwise the players get confused and usually upset). 5E has moved entirely away from the strict rules insanity of 3E and 4E, allowing DMs to actually run the game.

CyanideSprite

First Post
Yeah but for lots of things you refer to the rulebook for consistencies like how far away you can see or hear something or what it means to do that... Except pretty much for telepathy. If telepathy is treated like a form of communication, it should probably be explained. The DM can change anything or throw the rulebook out entirely; that doesn't mean there shouldn't be useful stuff like this in the rulebook.

Mallus

Legend
The DM can change anything or throw the rulebook out entirely; that doesn't mean there shouldn't be useful stuff like this in the rulebook.
There is, sort of. In the PHB there's a pretty full description in the text for the 8th level Telepathy spell. Granted, that's a powerful spell with effectively unlimited range (the limiting factor is 'must know target'). The other times telepathy is mentioned (that I recall) the only detail given is range. But I'd say, per the rules, telepathy includes all kinds of other sensory data, and 'volume control', with the caveat telepathic shouting can't harm the target or disrupt their actions. Communicating fine/complicated detail via non-verbal sense-data would probably call for a WIS or INT check for the caster.

Question: are you asking as a DM or a player? The advice above is for DMs. For players, I'd advise "just try it" and see how your DM responds.

The overall design of 5e errs on the side of brevity, on purpose. I can see how that might seem insufficient for some people, but after years of running 3e & 4e, I quite like it.

aramis erak

Legend
I would think that, at its 'base' level, Telepathy would work just like speaking, save that it's only audible to the receiver. It's also a 'speech-dependent' ability, meaning that the recipient must have at least some form of language in order to work; by this, one could assume that pictures are not a part of the 'base' power. In other words, if you can create an effect with your voice, it should be also possible via Telepathy.

Psionicists (in other versions of D&D) who specialize in Telepathy CAN send images etc via their mind-links, much like Illusionists can summon visual images for the eyes.

All versions I've seen in 5E are NOT speech dependent. See the Flumph, the Warlock's Awakened Mind, the Telepathy Spell... and the Monster Manual general text on telepathy:
"TELEPATHY
Telepathy is a magical ability that allows a monster to communicate mentally with another creature within a specified range. The contacted creature doesn't need to share a language with the monster to communicate in this way with it, but it must be able to understand at least one language. A creature without telepathy can receive and respond to telepathic messages but can't initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation."

Awakened Mind: "You can communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don't need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language."

Spell: "The spell enables a creature with an Intelligence score of at least 1 to understand the meaning of your words and lake in lhe scope of any sensory messages you send to it."

And, further afield, Dominate Beast, Dominate Monster, and Dominate Person make no mention of language.

This depends on the spell. eg Telepathic Bond states: "Until the spell ends, the targets can communicate telepathically through the bond whether or not they have a common language". Whereas the 8th level Telepathy spell states "you and the target can instantaneously share words, images, sounds, and other sensory messages with one another through the link, and the target recognizes you as the creature it is communicating". In my campaign we ruled that rudimentary images may transfer telepathically along with feeling and words but its the higher level spells that really convey more than thoughts.

Remove ads