• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does the monster recharge mechanic work?

Valesin

First Post
Many monster powers have a 'recharge' value, usually 4-6 or 5-6. I understand that these numbers are the target numbers of a d6 roll (i.e., a recharge value of 5-6 means that if you roll a 5 or 6 on a d6 the power recharges and can be used again that encounter).

My question is how often do you get to roll this 'recharge' chance? Is it just once, after the first time a monster uses the power in that encounter? Or is there a chance that the power can recharge each round? IOW, if a monster uses a power in round 2 and fails its recharge roll, does it get another roll at the end of rounds 3, 4, etc?

Stalker0

Legend
I had this question as well when I ran the black dragon.

The dragon uses his breath weapon. If the recharge is at the beginning of next round, the dragon could theoretically breathe every round with good rolls. If its at the end, at best its every other round. That's a BIG BIG difference!!

AllisterH

First Post
Revinor said:
Most probably during untap step of beginning phase.

*LOL*

You noticed as well that the round structure resembles a M:TG round in how it is laid out as well? D&D is finally starting to become like M:TG yet nobody seems to care. Is M:TG now less geeky/bad than D&D?

As for the OP, I would assume at the beginning of the round since if it was the end, the DM would have to remember that the monster's power recharged and it might 5-6 other PC/NPCs that go in-between the monster's turn,

GoLu

First Post
AllisterH said:
Is M:TG now less geeky/bad than D&D?

You are posting to a D&D forum, implying that geeky is bad?

(Anyway, I don't happen to think the round structure is particularly close to Magic. You deal with ongoing effects, take your turn, then roll to see if durations end for those ongoing effects. It's laid out in a clear step-by-step manner that doesn't leave a lot of grey area, much like Magic, but that's the presentation and not the structure.)

Oh... and to answer the beginning/end of round question: Does it matter? In either case, you make one roll between when you use the ability and when you could next use the ability. The only difference is a slight amount of additional information, so you can take your one interrupt action knowing that you'll be able to use that power next turn.

Unless you think it's at the end of the round and you only roll for abilities that you didn't use that round? Then it would make a big difference, but that interpretation seems unusually complicated for a 4th edition D&D rule.

Stalker0

Legend
GoLu said:
Oh... and to answer the beginning/end of round question: Does it matter? In either case, you make one roll between when you use the ability and when you could next use the ability. The only difference is a slight amount of additional information, so you can take your one interrupt action knowing that you'll be able to use that power next turn.

As I mentioned a few posts up, it makes a very large difference in the frequency someone can use a recharge ability.

Remove ads