• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how does web work

lottrbacchus

First Post
Specific questions about web:
1) It says that you need to anchor the webs to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points. This seems to suggest that the web's area of effect is only in the area between the anchors, not the whole 20 ft radius (if there aren't adequate supports). Is this correct?

2) When moving through webs, do you count the 5' moved IN TO or OUT OF? That is, my monster is at the edge of the AOE. The next square has no webs, and I made my ST. Do I have to spend my round moving out of the webs?

3) And if so, how much farther can the monster move? For example- the monster gets a 25 on his strength check. He could move 3 squares in the webs, but only needs 1 to excape- so does that mean he has 2/3 of his normal move left?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
lottrbacchus said:
Specific questions about web:
1) It says that you need to anchor the webs to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points. This seems to suggest that the web's area of effect is only in the area between the anchors, not the whole 20 ft radius (if there aren't adequate supports). Is this correct?

I see the 20 ft. radius as being the maximum dimensions. If the only anchor is the walls of a 10 ft. section of corridor that is 20 ft. long, then the area will be 10 ft. by 20 ft. regardless of the spell's area. Note, however, that in dungeons (where web is most commonly used) ceilings serve as adequate anchors for the spell so doing this kind of calculation is unnecessary unless the ceilings are more than 20 ft. high.

lottrbacchus said:
2) When moving through webs, do you count the 5' moved IN TO or OUT OF? That is, my monster is at the edge of the AOE. The next square has no webs, and I made my ST. Do I have to spend my round moving out of the webs?

A creature in the area of a web needs to make a Str check to move. However, if they are at the edge of the effect, I would say as long as they make the Str check, they can move their full speed. In D&D, movement effects are usually determined based on the square the creature is entering, not the square the creature is leaving.

lottrbacchus said:
3) And if so, how much farther can the monster move? For example- the monster gets a 25 on his strength check. He could move 3 squares in the webs, but only needs 1 to excape- so does that mean he has 2/3 of his normal move left?

see above

Starglim

Explorer
On reflection, I agree partly. A creature in the 5' square at the edge of the web is in the web. It must make a STR check to move and for each round devoted to moving, it moves 5 feet or more if it beats DC 15.

The description doesn't say that this replaces its complete move, counts as more than one square per 5 feet or is a special form of movement, so if a creature moves 5 feet and is then out of the web, I believe it has used 5 feet of movement and can continue to its full double move. However, it must devote its round to moving, so it can't do anything other than move in that round. I'm not sure if this would allow free actions.

Last edited:

Remove ads