• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How far can you climb per action?

Nebulous

Legend
So last session combat broke out inside a tall tower, and the monk wanted to climb up from the ground. It's 80 feet to the window. She moves 40, so that's climb half speed, so 20 feet. The DC wasn't hard, DC 10, but she wanted to get up there fast and burned a ki point and rolled a 20 and said ok, I made it up to the top. I went with it and didn't think about the math at all, but later I was wondering, how far could she actually scale the tower in a round? Since combat had broken out in the tower this was now in 6 second initative rounds.

Do you need a climb check per move action? So the monk Dashed, 20'+20' and then burned a ki point to Dash again, +20'...but that's only 60'. Would the monk need 3 climb checks to climb 60', or one check to climb 60'? Is there a rule for that or is it DM fiat? Rolling the 20, the player thinks 20 = Win

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In D&D 5e, there are no "climb checks." Climbing is a factor of speed, costing double the regular movement. As with all other ability checks, there must be an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence for failure to call for a Strength (Athletics) check. In the case of climbing, the rules state that this could be because there are no handholds or the climbing surface is vertical and slippery. What happens if the check is failed is up to the DM, but might reasonably include falling or making no progress when making progress in that moment is very important. However many checks you require is also up to you. I would go with just one ability check for the entirety of the movement in the turn, provided the task meets the requirements of calling for an ability check.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Climbing, Swimming, and Crawling

Each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain) when you’re climbing, swimming, or crawling. You ignore this extra cost if you have a climbing speed and use it to climb, or a swimming speed and use it to swim. At the DM’s option, climbing a slippery vertical surface or one with few handholds requires a successful Strength (Athletics) check. Similarly, gaining any distance in rough water might require a successful Strength (Athletics) check."

Nebulous

Legend
In D&D 5e, there are no "climb checks." Climbing is a factor of speed, costing double the regular movement. As with all other ability checks, there must be an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence for failure to call for a Strength (Athletics) check. In the case of climbing, the rules state that this could be because there are no handholds or the climbing surface is vertical and slippery. What happens if the check is failed is up to the DM, but might reasonably include falling or making no progress when making progress in that moment is very important. However many checks you require is also up to you. I would go with just one ability check for the entirety of the movement in the turn, provided the task meets the requirements of calling for an ability check.

Right, the consequence would likely mean no progress for that, um, action. But is my math correct in the example? The monk could not have reached the window 80 feet up even when burning a ki point? She is still climbing crazy fast, 10 feet per second.

Right, the consequence would likely mean no progress for that, um, action.
Falling, usually. It's a case of "only make the skill check if failure has a meaningful consequence".

But is my math correct in the example? The monk could not have reached the window 80 feet up even when burning a ki point? She is still climbing crazy fast, 10 feet per second.
I believe that is correct. Unless they are multiclassed to thief or are a tabaxi or have some other thing that allows them to climb at full movement.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Right, the consequence would likely mean no progress for that, um, action. But is my math correct in the example? The monk could not have reached the window 80 feet up even when burning a ki point? She is still climbing crazy fast, 10 feet per second.

It's perfectly reasonable to award a high roll with extra movement, but it's completely up to DM decision whether that should happen on a success, as well as what you think should happen on a failure.

For your specific scenario, in-story, perhaps she exerted herself to sort of jump-climb up the tower (if you've seen climbing in Breath of the Wild, you might know what I'm describing) and scaled the tower more quickly than she normally would have otherwise. If it didn't take away much from the story of the game, probably fine not to worry about too much but be prepared for how you want to handle the same potential scenario in the future.

Oofta

Legend
The number of athletics checks is entirely up to you, as written I would say she only climbed 60 ft if I understand the scenario because she moved and then double dashed.

I don't assume a 20 always succeeds but it really depends on what style of campaign you run. In some cinema, running full out up a wall is perfectly fine for a monk.

Nebulous

Legend
The number of athletics checks is entirely up to you, as written I would say she only climbed 60 ft if I understand the scenario because she moved and then double dashed.

I don't assume a 20 always succeeds but it really depends on what style of campaign you run. In some cinema, running full out up a wall is perfectly fine for a monk.

That's right. I just wanted some more feedback on how to rule the checks, if she needed one or two or whatever.
It's perfectly reasonable to award a high roll with extra movement, but it's completely up to DM decision whether that should happen on a success, as well as what you think should happen on a failure.

For your specific scenario, in-story, perhaps she exerted herself to sort of jump-climb up the tower (if you've seen climbing in Breath of the Wild, you might know what I'm describing) and scaled the tower more quickly than she normally would have otherwise. If it didn't take away much from the story of the game, probably fine not to worry about too much but be prepared for how you want to handle the same potential scenario in the future.

Well I just want to know how to rule it again in the future, if and when it comes up. I haven't had a person climb a wall so fast in a long, long time. A failure I was thinking could the monk got partway up and couldn't find a handhold, and meanwhile her ally in the tower is getting attacked, and she can't help.

I would have have said 60 feet and no check.

BUT, then again I do a rogue character in my group that is learning to use an immovable rod to increase (double) their vertical jump distance with an athletics roll. So, if it adds fun, go for it!

Remove ads