• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How fast do you level in 3.x? (read before you vote)

How Many Sessions does it usually take you to level in 3.x?

Votes: 34 11.1%

Votes: 62 20.3%

Votes: 119 38.9%

Votes: 101 33.0%

Votes: 59 19.3%

Votes: 41 13.4%

Votes: 17 5.6%

Votes: 14 4.6%

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 10 or more

Votes: 14 4.6%

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Eavery 1-4 sessions, depending on how long I want to drag the level out. I basically use sessions as the benchmark for when to level, too.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Once every 10 sessions or so. The sessions are about 6 hours long.

EDIT: So that's 15 to 20 of your sessions.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
We level about once every three sessions but we do only have 3 PCs and game for 5 hours a sessions. But the biggest differ3enfce is we use gaming boards in between sessions to handle things like research and shopping and selling and mundane travel. So, it is almost like we have sessions in between sessions :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
Given our sessions are 6 to 7 hours long, and we level roughly once every two to three sessions or so, we're looking at 3 to 4 of your sessions. Say, once a month if were were doing those short 3 to 4 hour sessions.

diaglo

Adventurer
Henry said:
Given our sessions are 6 to 7 hours long, and we level roughly once every two to three sessions or so, we're looking at 3 to 4 of your sessions. Say, once a month if were were doing those short 3 to 4 hour sessions.
ditto.

but the DM reduces xp too.

still the apropriate answer is too fast for me.

kolikeos

First Post
Too fast. We usually have 3-4 hour sessions once or twice a week. We level every 2-3 weeks. I tried lowering the XP gaind, my players have been very upset about it, so we do it by the book.

Midknightsun

Explorer
Depends on the campaign.

I run a group that meets once or twice a month, for about 6-7 hour sessions, and I generally level them after each one. So about 1 per 2 sessions.

My weekly group flew through levels 1-3, gaining 1 level per 5 hour session (fine by me, I'm not a big fan of super low levels anyway). At mid to high levels (they're 12th now), its about 1 level per 15 hours of play time. So I'm looking at a level per 3 or 4 'sessions'.

The third group I play in usually levels 1 per 2 or 3 -4 hour sessions.

For a weekly game, I do prefer a slightly slower pace (once the group gets to the really fun mid levels). More than 5 or 6 sessions to gain a level, IMO, would probably kick my ADD into overdrive (as a DM or player), but to each their own.

dungeondweller

First Post
Hard question to provide a solid answer to. I went with "3" as an average. It's 1 session per level through about level 4 -5, then slows down considerably. Takes us about 2 years gaming every 2 - 3 weeks, 6 to 7 hours per session, to get to 20th level.

It varies for me. My games usually run between 3 and half to 6 hours a session and one session every week. Last game the players leveled up twice and we only played 4 hours, while the week before we played six hours and only leveled up once.

Remove ads