• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How fast is a zeppelin?

Pagan priest

First Post
Last weekend, my son watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Castle In The Sky" several times. This has inspired me to think about a d20M Pulp Heroes campaign set in the South Pacific complete with aerial pirates and Imperial Japanese Navel Aero-Dreadnoughts.

To that end, can anybody tell me the actual historical speeds normally reached by the various blimps and dirigibles? I can make guesses, but if anybody actually knows, that would be great!

Dread0395

First Post
I have a book on the Hindenberg (just a cheap fold out book!) but it says the Hindenburg made Germany to Rio in 3.5 days.

hope this helps some.

Eric

ElectricDevil

First Post
Been looking into the matter as well, I've been doing some stuff for a Steampunk game... I might do a Pulp Heroes game at one time or another. Here's some links I found somewhat useful.

"On most trips across the Atlantic, the Hindenburg maintained an altitude of approximately 650 feet and cruised around 78 mph (with a maximum speed of 84 mph)"

http://history1900s.about.com/library/weekly/aa102600a.htm
http://www.ciderpresspottery.com/ZLA/greatzeps/Great_Zepps.html
http://www.ciderpresspottery.com/ZLA/wwi/Zep_at_war.html
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/history1b.htm

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Some extra info that might prove useful; the Hindenburg didn't catch on fire because it was full of hydrogen. The fabric its shell was made of was coated with some stuff to make it more weather-resistant. This "stuff" contained at least one chemical that is flammable on its own, and some kind of powdered metal or something that's used in solid fuel rockets!
The whole aircraft was like a big fuse just waiting to be lit.

I love the History Channel.

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
This leads to a ton of really cool questions.

Hardness of the average dirigible skin?

Effect of one or two penetrating gunshots on a dirigible?

Balance check for fighting on top of a moving dirigible?

Climb check for stopping oneself from sliding down a dirigible and falling hundreds of feet into the ocean below (where you'll likely survive, having taken only 70 points damage on average (20d6 cap) and made your massive damage save...)

Anybody got a passable schematic of how the habitable areas would be laid out online somewhere? Was the Indiana Jones movie accurate?

I don't even have a campaign where this would fit, but dang, it's a COOL idea.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I found this site with Hindenburg interior pictures - remarkably similar to Indy III.

BTW, listed top speed of the Hindenburg: 84 MPH

Last edited:

Pagan priest

First Post
takyris said:

Hardness of the average dirigible skin?

(edit: I missed this question!) Reinforced, chemically treated fabric... let's be generous and say 2. Probably about half a gazillion hit points though... those things are huge! Very vulnerable to fire damage however.

Unless these are incindeary rounds, I'd treat it like normal combat damage. Once the airship takes it's hitpoints in damage it begins to sink, faster as it goes further negative.

Balance check for fighting on top of a moving dirigible?

Did you see the movie "The Rocketeer"? There was a big fight scene on the top of a zepplin. I would say that if you are in the middle, along the peak there would be no need of a balance check. It is only as you get closer to the side that the checks would begin. For game purposes, let's say there is a 15' strip that requires no checks. 10' on either side of that requires a DC 10 balance check to avoid slipping toward the edge. For the next 5', up the DC by 5 to15. The next 5' out goes to DC 25. Beyond this point it is no longer balance, but climb. Adjust for different size airships.

Climb check for stopping oneself from sliding down a dirigible and falling hundreds of feet into the ocean below (where you'll likely survive, having taken only 70 points damage on average (20d6 cap) and made your massive damage save...)

Given the nature of the genre, I would assume that there are plenty of cables and such all over the surface, so the check would be either just a Reflex check DC 20 or climb check DC 15. (If you know what you are doing, it should be easier!)

Anybody got a passable schematic of how the habitable areas would be laid out online somewhere? Was the Indiana Jones movie accurate?

Someone else beat me to it!

I don't even have a campaign where this would fit, but dang, it's a COOL idea.

All I can say is: "Sky Pirates of the South Pacific

Last edited:

Kusuf ibn Zaid

First Post
takyris said:

During WWI dirigibles were rather unvulnerable to machine gun fire until the advent of incendiary ammunition. Before, this a few were brought down, but their demise was usually a freak occurrence. For example, I remember one instance when a German airship was shot down in France with a lucky artillery shell.

- Kusuf

Last edited:

Remove ads