Pathfinder 1E How good is the Pathfinder Monster book?

thatdarnedbob

First Post
It's a decent book. Lots of monsters, evocative art. The monsters are those you remember for the most part, and they have been slightly improved mechanically for the most part. The dragon creation process, especially, is better than in 3.5 IMO. Downsides are uneven amounts of fluff (some entries are pretty well done, though) and the lingering problem of spellcasting monsters having a list of abilities that you will need to cross-reference the PHB for. Didn't buy it as I'm 4E for a while, but if you're looking for an in-print 3rd Ed MM, this is the way to go.

benjamin

Explorer
Somewhere in between 'super excellent double plus good' and 'bleedin amazing'.

The artwork is really nice, the fluff text is fresh, interesting, mood provocing, and gives me ideas for adventures. The Dragons are MUCH easier to use. All the standard familiars are there. There are lots of cool extra monsters from a range of sources. It's clear, pretty, and thick...

...more more and more...

I haven't been so happy getting a book in quite a while...

...though maybe the core rulebook rivals it...!

lol

Benjamin

Want incredibly atmospheric background
soundscapes for your gaming table?
Go to: www.syrinscape.com
Download for free!
See a program demo, and listen to mp3s
of Syrinscape in action.

Last edited:

avin

First Post
In short - I think it is the best monster book put out since the old 2e Monster Manual.

Fixed for ya!

Kidding aside, the free preview shows that this is a fantastic book. I'm tempted to buy it, even DMing only 4E at this moment, for the art and fluff.

Remove ads