D&D 5E How hard is it to rebase a miniature?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
... and where do I get the materials?

I have a Heroclix "Bard the Archer" I'd like to rebase into my mini for an upcoming campaign.

I've never done this before. Please advice. Thanks.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Most Heroclix and Mage Knight minis can be removed from their bases with razor blade or hobby knife. Most glues work fine for putting such a plastic figure on an alternate base. Be careful with sharp blades and cut away from yourself. Do NOT cradle the miniature in your crotch while cutting.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
To expand on my previous post . . .

Some just pop off with a bit of force. DM Scotty has a video showing how to do it (jump to 3:30) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-n5DASqodM

And Ben's RPG Pile has a video showing how to do it with Dreamblade figures (another good source for D&D minis) using a hot knife -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y89hs7Fyfc

Also, look into getting some of the old World of Warcraft plastic minis. With larger creatures, the bases they come on work well enough, IMO, but maybe add some sand with a mix of white glue thinned with water. You can paint the sand or paint portions of it to simulate ground cover / grass. Maybe add some pebbles. There is no limit to the number of cool minis out there that can be easily converted.

For bases, some folks just use washers from the hardware store, which also adds some bottom-weight. But places like Minis Market sell stuff you can use and other companies sell them in bulk -

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/accessories/gaming-supplies/miniature-bases.html

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Hang on to those old bases that you remove since they Mage Knight and Heroclix bases are a good size for larger creature and you can flock them and such.

Gecko85

Explorer
Those bases Mark CMG linked to, the ones with the slits, work well. You can get some small bar-shaped rare earth magnets to fit perfectly inside the slit in the bottom. Then just line a container with metal (not aluminum) sheets from Home Depot (you'll find them in the roofing section), and you have the perfect storage/carrying case. Your minis will stay perfectly stuck, and safe, to the bottom of the case...even if turned upside down.

Pickles JG

First Post
clix bases are 11/2" and most grids are 1". It's fine until you get a load of minis in close proximity.

OtOH they look terrible as do naked black DD minis ones

How far off is the size if one were to just use a heroclix in its original form?
Kind of a pain if one uses a grid and it makes a fair difference in a big melee if you are not using a grid.

Bases

1" metal washer from hardware store
1" counting chip
25mm wood buttons (ebay sellers from china often have good deals)
Othello disc
JAX brand 1" poker chip (most other poker chips are 1.5" and 40mm)
25mm slotta or non slot bases .(ebay sellers from china often have good deals)
US Quarter

Remove ads