• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How hard is learning a new TTRPG system?

Exactly. That's the question. What time, energy, effort, etc are we discussing?

Obviously your experiences may vary. But as I described above, most games, this "time, energy, effort" is about 5 minutes.

If that's too much, fair enough. But I'm under the impression people think it takes, like weeks or something? Not 5 minutes, which is usually the case?
Three things come to my mind regarding these 5 minutes:
  1. There seems to be an underlying assumption that there is a game master role and a player role, and that the GM is a person who is already familiar with the rules and paradigms of the game and can explain them with ease - that, of course, reduces the effort on the player side greatly.
  2. You might be a natural learner, but if we are talking about less traditional games, was/is it immediately obvious to you how do define good aspects in FATE or how to meaningfully contribute to a scene in Ten Candles? (I cannot claim that for myself in both cases)
  3. There might be a different understanding of "picking up a game" altogether - would playing the game while the GM tells you what and when to roll qualify already? (for me personally, it would not)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I guess that’s the but I don’t understand. Where is the time burden?
Learning how to generate a character. While no Shadowrun character or Champions superhero is easy to understand cold, learning how to make one with any degree of proficiency is a significant time burden. It’s a metric eff-ton easier to learn a new game with pregens than learning how to make your own PC AND learning how to play.

Thourne

Hero
Learning how to generate a character. While no Shadowrun character or Champions superhero is easy to understand cold, learning how to make one with any degree of proficiency is a significant time burden. It’s a metric eff-ton easier to learn a new game with pregens than learning how to make your own PC AND learning how to play.
Some folks are just utterly incapable of fast character gen regardless of the system.
We have a group mate who takes over an hour to make a Boot Hill character, and this is after decades.
Anyone who has ever played the game likely recalls this is a 5 minute process for a new player.

hawkeyefan

Legend
In the amount of time it takes to prep a homebrew D&D adventure or to read and absorb a published adventure, a GM could easily read and absorb a new game.

D&D is a pretty complex game. People kind of assume that other games must be as complex and that’s just not always the case. Newer players are intimidated by the thought of having to learn the same amount of rules again. Old timers are afraid of not being an expert anymore.

Everyone should make an effort to learn and play a new game every now and then. Even if it’s something simple like Lasers & Feelings or Honey Heist. Getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new is a good thing. And it’ll likely give you a new perspective on or appreciation of the game you always play, too.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I guess I see learning how to play and learning the strategy and nuance of a system as two different things. I would say learning how to play a game takes minutes, probably just a single session. Though, learning a system I would see as much more complex and time consuming. If the distinctions matter for the discussion.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It really isn't easier to do all that design work, maybe a little easier for the players, but usually it will be a lot more work to make a hack than use an existing system, and often you end up stuck with a lot of the tropes of D&D which don't suit all genres.
Yes. Easier for the players. And yes, stuck with a lot of D&D baggage. And yet…still a lot of gamers would seemingly prefer that to learning a new system.
Not sure it is that large a group, I've certainly met a couple, but that's in decades of gaming, with lots of different groups and people.
Try having a conversation with people around here about trusting the GM with the rules. Apparently a lot of people simply cannot do that.

Thourne

Hero
I guess I see learning how to play and learning the strategy and nuance of a system as two different things. I would say learning how to play a game takes minutes, probably just a single session. Though, learning a system I would see as much more complex and time consuming. If the distinctions matter for the discussion.
Provided the system has a depth or nuance that requires investment. Some are just simple and straight forward.

Staffan

Legend
In most cases, basic task resolution is pretty fast. If you're getting into subsystems and/or character generation, that can be significantly longer.

Many well-designed games of reasonable complexity will explain the rules as you move through character generation. That might take a little longer to get from sitting down to actually playing, but will often result in a better understanding of the game. because you're getting concepts explained one at a time and in the proper context.

Remove ads