• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How hard to find oop books?

Crothian

First Post
In another thread there was a discussion of how difficult it can be to get out of print edition of D&D. If you needed to go out and buy a 1e AD&D PHB (either cover) would you be able to do so? I picked that book since that was the one I was talking about, but if you want to talk about how easy or hard it is for you to acquire oop books, that's fine too.

With the net and used books stores I find it pretty easy to get oop games like this but it could be luck of my location.

Treebore

First Post
Well, they are certainly difficult to find in that its highly unlikely to be on the shelves of your local books store, or LGS for that matter. My LGS has very few 2E materials, let alone anything older.

It can also take some time to find them offered up an eBay. So I think the easiest thing to do is buy one of the clones. I got mine printed out via Lulu. Like Swords and Wizardry, in soft cover, cast about $13 with shipping, and that is based on the original supplement booklets. Its not a complete adaptation of everything, nor an exact duplicate in any way, but its the rules, nicely presented, and very playable.

Glyfair

Explorer
It can also take some time to find them offered up an eBay.
It depends on what you are looking for, and how much you are willing to pay. Crothian mentions the AD&D PHB and I see 6 on ebay right now, as low as $1.99.

Now, if you are looking for OD&D, that's another kettle of fish.

It used to be the easiest way was to get the PDF from DriveThruRPG, but that is apparently closed off now (though only for Wizards of the Coast).

I spent a fair amount of time trying to track down all of the old 3rd edition GURPS books (including some harder-to-find ones like Bunnies and Burrows and Conan). Basically, there were several sources I used:

- Noble Knight Games and other online dealers of OOP material
- Used book stores (varies widely in availability depending on geographic location, but some have an online presence and will come up from a Google search)
- eBay (use alerts if you have a title you want)
- Amazon.com used book auctions
- Gaming stores that have a "clutter and piles" philosophy -- in Cleveland, Warzone Matrix has many, many 1st and 2nd edition books
- Game stores that don't see RPG books as core merchandise -- I found a B5 Wars book I was looking for in the back of a store selling pool and ping pong tables in New Jersey
- Discount stores -- my first ever RPG purchase was of the Traveller hardcover in a discount store

Best advice is to visit pretty much every vendor of gaming supplies and used books in the area and poke around, and use the online search tools at Amazon, eBay and Google to look for specific titles.

Actually, since you live in Columbus, if you REALLY wanted something, give Warzone Matrix a call and see if they have a copy. It should be about a 2 or 2.5 hour drive, or stop by if you happen to be in the Cleveland area for some reason.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I usually end up finding a bunch of supplemental material for older games, like say, the Fiend Folio for AD&D 1E, but I have never seen the core books in a Used Book Store.

We've had some serious issues equipping a group with Moldvay Basic & Expert rule books. In the end we gave up and went with Labyrinth Lord.

ancientvaults

Explorer
While a firm proponent of the simulacrums, I find that seeking out and acquiring 1E and any D&D from b/x and after to be fairly easy. I do, however, detest a lot of ebay sales because I rarely see things arrive in a condition that I would sell something in without feeling a bit guilty.

I have, however, had stellar luck with used book stores.

Bumbles

First Post
My FLGS in Chattanooga, TN had OD&D books on the shelf until the early 90's. I kick myself now (ow!) for not picking 'sm up.

Ow, I'm going to kick myself too then, since I could have had a chance to buy them too!

Damn the barns. They told me about the falls, and the rock city, but why didn't they inform me of something important??

Last edited:

Remove ads