• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How has the 4e/3e schism affected you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Opal

First Post
Hasn't affected our group, or me, at all. We're excited about 4e and looking forward to converting the campaign. If 4e doen't support the way we play, which is hard to imagine for me, we'll take what we like from 4e and go back to our 3x.e / AE hodge-podge.

thatdarnedbob

First Post
Everyone I personally game with is excited about, and switching to, 4th edition. So no problems there. I will probably have an issue around September, when we start organizing our university's gaming convention. D&D is traditionally our biggest draw, and I'm worried that the game masters who sign up to run D&D events won't choose their system in the same proportion that our players would like. I really have no idea what those percentages will look like, but it could be a concern.

btw, the convention is OwlCon, held in Houston at the campus of Rice University in early February, if you're into that kind of thing.

Clavis

First Post
WOTC pretty much lost me as a customer once I realized that it was easier for me to do my taxes than write a 3rd Edition game session. And trying to DM that beast was an exercise in frustration. Nothing about 4th Edition has convinced me that its anything other than a tactical miniatures boardgame that gets to be called Dungeons & Dragons because its maker owns that brand name. So, as far I'm concerned 3rd and 4th Edition can beat each other to snot.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
No issues/schism here with our 12+ members gaming group. We're sticking with 3.x from here on out. There is nothing in 4e that attracts us and we've had enough of spending money on books.

There are times when we will even revert back to a 1e session or two.

MRTrice

First Post
Schism

It's been an interesting topic to watch. My main group will keep playing 3.x/AE, but another group I hang out with will play 4E between Descent games (no tacit comparison implied, seriously).

Really, I'm curious as an academic how the OGL continues while the big guy moves on to other product--and how the community(ies) react.

As a writer, I think I could play around with either when I can find the time to do some game design.

Otherwise, I have my personal preferences as GM and player, but see no reason to air those.

BryonD

Hero
Greg K said:
The only schisms I see are on forums. There is no schism in my group as nobody has a remote interest in playing 4e. Then again off forums I don't know anyone interested in 4e and neither do my gaming friends whether they be my players that play in multiiple groups or friends that play in completely different groups.
This is exactly my experience.

I'd say no effect.

Though in some ways I've become a bit more re-energized for 3.5/Pathfinder. So I guess it has been good for me, all-in-all.

Several things have come of the 3e/4e transition-

1) Spending much less money as I am staying with 3e

2) The summer /fall of 2007 hate between the pro/con folks everywhere has made visiting DnD related sites much much less appealing thus I am getting more family time in

3) I am nearing the grand completion of data entry of every template I have for 3e/3.5 which will aid my DMing some

right or wrong.... I feel I am better for not going 4e at this point.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
None really.

My first group group is split on buying 4E, but they're willing to play it once I run it.

The second group is all in favor of 4E.

Me, I'll play just about any game, as long as the rules are sound.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No schism here either- none of the 15+ gamers in my 2 main groups is interested in 4Ed.

And yes, most have perused my 4Ed Core 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads