• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How have you lost the most gaming books?

How have you lost the most gaming books?

• Worn out. Alas poor DMG, you gave your all! Disposed of in a Viking funeral.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Disaster! Got burnt, flooded, ate, :):):):) on.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Loaned to another gamer. Never came back.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Confiscated. By the law, momma, daddy, the wife, Jack Chick, etc.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Stolen. Damn! Why didn't they get the pickup instead?

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Sold, traded, or gambled.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I keep my gaming books perfectly preserved, thank you very much.

Votes: 33 24.1%

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Did have a friend that placed them on the back of other gamer's car as they talked, forgot about them and only remembered as he saw them flying off the car onto the interstate, to run over them himselfs as he followed on the way to game!

KnowTheToe

First Post
Gave away to others. If I know I will never play a game again, such as AD&D 2e. I will give it away to people who want it. I even paid the postage to mail Return to the Keep on the Border Lands to a member here I had never met. I hate to see games thrown away.

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
My complete set of 1e AD&D were stolen in a bar. Along with the implantation plans for the TGV (high speed train). I was more worried I had lost my books than to have to face my boss the next day.
The saddest part is that I never had the oportunity to buy back the Fiend Folio and Unearthed Arcana.

Moulin Rogue

First Post
I sort of left a couple 1e books at a friend's house, but I didn't really care much about D&D anymore at the time (around '87-'88). So I never bothered to ask for them back and eventually forgot about them.

My other stuff was "regular" D&D and I think I just allowed them to get thrown out by mum around the same time. They were in horrendous shape anyway.

Kilmore

First Post
Kudos to those who keep their books in good shape. I was expecting the "loaned to another gamer" to come out on top. It does look like that is the prime source of book loss, though.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Flooded basement wiped out four large boxes of mine when I was in University.

Included Manual of the Planes, Dungeoneer's and Wilderness Survival Guides, Deities and Demigods (first edition)...

Ouch... the memories.

I was the one that discovered the damage actually. I saw the water marks on the boxes... opened up the biggest one, pulled out the manual of the planes... and each page was home to incredibly coloured splotches and whorls of fungus.

Issalzul Syde

First Post
I lost my 2e books in the fire that took care of the basement.

When that heater when off, I ripped out the power cable, ripped out the hard drives and never looked back.

I wish I went back for my books, though.
I lost a lot of good memories.
:(

Azzemmell

First Post
I marked "confiscated" also, but it wasn't quite like that.
My brother, a friend, and I played when I was about 16. We had all of the 2ed hardbacks and all of the softbacks, except the green ones. We even had the full set of the trading cards. Man, those cards were cool, and I've never seen even one of the set again.
I digress.

Our parents were (still are) that breed of christian who thinks D&D is like a sign on your chest, "Attention all demons!! Please drag me to the fiery lake, etc...".
They didn't know that we had over $200 of demon bait hidden in my room. Old houses are great for finding suprisingly large hiding spots. Only the cardset was stored in my brother's room, under a loose floor board.
So my brother leaves for the army and my little sister snatches his room. Somehow, she finds the cards and the pictures scare her. She takes them to my parents and hysteria ensues.

Now, I was leaving for summer camp the next day and I knew that they knew that even though I told them we only had one book ( I showed them the PH in a misguided attempt to sway their decision), they were going to tear my room apart to make sure all the demons 'was gone.

Man, that was the heaviest bag I ever packed for camp. They didn't seem to notice my back bowing under the strain. I was going to camp with the friend who played with us, and I was driving my car. I couldn't store them at his house; his parents, also this same type of christian, were friends of my parents and he was in "trouble", too.

So here we are, in my car, with about 250$ worth of 2ed books, about to leave town for camp... christian camp.

It still puts a dull butter-knife in my heart when I think of watching them sail into that dumpster. AAAgh.

We decided to lay low for a couple of years. Yes, that means I was 18 when I started collecting another hoard. Had to wait until I moved out.

Ah, the memories. Those were some of the funnest sessions I ever dm'd... 1am... bedroom door locked with a towel stuffed under it to conceal the meager light that was given off by the office lamp... books and papers positioned next to the bed, ready to be swept under should footsteps be heard in the hall.
Combat, suprisingly enough, can be quite suspensefull when played at a whisper.
It was kinda like Cloak & Dagger playing Dungeons & Dragons...

Azz

Barcode

First Post
I haven't lost that many, but the most common way is for other people to walk off with them at conventions. Most of the time I believe it was intentional, thus theft. Perhaps a couple were accidents, but considering that they could have tracked me down easily enough to return them once they realized, I consider that theft by laziness.

Remove ads