How hot is red-hot iron?

Richards said:
Um, how does the fact that it's the middle of the afternoon have any bearing on the surface temperature of the sun?

Johnathan

Middle of the Afternoon is a climactic template. Any environment it is applied to becomes hotter by multiplying the normal range by 125% and giving the local heat source a base hit die one die size larger than normal.

Abisashi

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Middle of the Afternoon is a climactic template. Any environment it is applied to becomes hotter by multiplying the normal range by 125% and giving the local heat source a base hit die one die size larger than normal.

So I shouldn't fight fire elementals during the day?

Mercule said:
So, does that mean that Heat Metal can be used to counter an Attraction spell? :)

It will in my campaign from now on :p .

Anabstercorian

First Post
Janeko's Fiery Crucible: This device is an adamantine folding forge powered by magic. When folded, it fills approximately half a cubic foot, and when unfolded, opens in to a two-foot cube with one open side, and shutters that can be drawn to decrease the size of the aperture on the open side to as small as three inches squared. A prepared spell with the [Fire] descriptor can be cast 'into' the crucible, such that it is used to power the forge instead of having the normal effect. The forge, when thus charged is magically held at a high temperature for one minute per caster level, and then cools normally – thus, it is most efficiently used when kept well insulated, so that the burning heat within can be contained longer than otherwise. The heat reached inside the box varies by the level of the spell cast in to it, like so:
Cantrip: 300 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit – a normal kitchen oven.
1st level: 400 to 800 degrees Fahrenheit – hot enough to temper steel.
2nd: 800 to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit – Metal glows red-hot.
3rd: 1200 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit – Metal glows orange. You can forge and harden iron.
4th: 1800 to 2600 degrees Fahrenheit – Metal glows white-hot. You can forge and harden steel.
5th: 2600 to 3200 degrees Fahrenheit – Iron melts. You can temper mithril.
6th: 3200 to 4000 degrees Fahrenheit – You can forge and harden mithril.
7th: 4000 to 4800 degrees Fahrenheit – Mithril melts. You can temper adamantine.
8th: 4800 to 5600 degrees Fahrenheit – You can forge and harden adamantine.
9th: 5600 to 6400 degrees Fahrenheit – Melt adamantine (destroying the crucible in the process) (5600 to 6400 Fahrenheit.)

(Note: For Adamantine, I used the melting point of Tungsten.)
(Clearly unfinished – I'll get back to this shortly.)

Tommi

First Post
Just a note about heat treating steel. You have to be above phase transition temperature before quenching (steel is not ferromagnetic above that temperature - will not stick to magnet). Quenching means that you 'freeze' the metal in unnatural cyrstal structure. Tempering is basically lessening hardness and relieving stress. Yuor magical forges most important feaure should be the maximum reachable temperature for forging and quenching (also the evenness of the temp) - tempering is easy.
If you want realism in your fantasy???? Your forge should also include freezing option. Some steels need to be frozen after quenching to complete the phase transformartion - you get stress free and 100% martensic steel while roomtemp may only give 80%... Also oxygen free enviroment could be nice. I might go on for a long time...

BTW As you seem to want realism you should drop hardening iron option as you can't harden iron. Steel is hardenable because of cardon. Iron alloy (conventional not particle metallurgy steel) with 0,15% to 2% C is considered to be steel.

Remove ads