• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How I think HoTDQ should of been handled.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Scrapped.

Tiamat was a minor deity who was barely known outside of the Old Empires in the Forgotten Realms. There are plenty of other creatures and stories they could have used that are a lot more interesting.

They claim to be bringing FR back to the way it was, well as close as possible, and one way they could have done it was bring the Cult of the Dragon back to more of it's origins. They could have revived Sammaster and have him resurrected inside the body of a Dracolich and resume his leadership of the Cult. It seems to me they just used the name of the cult and decided that since it's called Cult of the Dragon, it will then worship dragons. By moving away from the goal of turning all dragons into dracoliches, they have really cheapened the cult and it's origins.

wedgeski

Adventurer
But on the flip side, the first storyline of "Dungeons & Dragons" 5E involved probably the most famous dragon in the history of the game.

aramis erak

Legend
Scrapped.

Tiamat was a minor deity who was barely known outside of the Old Empires in the Forgotten Realms. There are plenty of other creatures and stories they could have used that are a lot more interesting.

They claim to be bringing FR back to the way it was, well as close as possible, and one way they could have done it was bring the Cult of the Dragon back to more of it's origins. They could have revived Sammaster and have him resurrected inside the body of a Dracolich and resume his leadership of the Cult. It seems to me they just used the name of the cult and decided that since it's called Cult of the Dragon, it will then worship dragons. By moving away from the goal of turning all dragons into dracoliches, they have really cheapened the cult and it's origins.

We get that you hate it. Isn't it about time to move on?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Actually, according to Shemeska, there is no account of her being imprisioned. It was made up on the spot in order to create the AP.

Midknightsun

Explorer
IMHO, its certainly far from perfect in execution, but the ideas are good and my group seems to like it so far. I will say that I have added personal touches and connections to help them feel more a part of the world around them and I believe that helped. But I could care less than zero whether or not it conflicts with FR lore, FR history, if it caused Elminster to have seizures due to the paradoxes in the time space continuum, or if it resulted in Drizzt being pushed off into the endless pit of painful abrasions- but that's just me. I can see that to some this is a big deal to have Tiamat run ragged over the Realms without one of the big NPCs showing up. To me, however, that just means the Realms needs to be scrapped because its way to confined. Again, execution of the module (more HotDQ, really) was haphazard, but Tiamat showing up in the Realms, not a problem for us. Maybe she can eat a few of those annoying NPCs before the PCs take her out-

-Elminster becoming Tia-poop by the end of my campaign- totally going to happen. . . . and Drizzt- that may not end well either if he shows himself (haven't decided yet).

Whether or not its in Faerun, the story should be about them first and not E, or D, or any other NPC. I see the FR history as a guideline, not a choke collar, so I have no problem making allowances, where needed, to make the adventure about the PCs.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
We get that you hate it. Isn't it about time to move on?
Why move on?

I'm not happy with the way things are going because we were told something different. You see, Ed Greenwood is supposed to be back in control of the Forgotten Realms and I know for a fact, that Ed wants less interactions with mortals and the actual gods. He wants to return it to characters interacting more with their servants, clerics, etc...

What we've got is the opposite. The first two modules are about fighting Tiamat, and possibly another god or godlike being. Apparently, someone at WoTc seems to think that fighting gods is the only cool when in fact, it's become such a snoozefest that it's not even funny

Remove ads