How important is good artwork in a product?

Eryx

First Post
Grendel said:
Buts thats just me and my $$$ talking.

I'm on a real budget (Not that it shows with my collection) but that makes it all the more important to me that I only buy what is usable and what looks good.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
>>>
One of the things I find really irritating about myself is that if a product has poor artwork or is produced on poor quality paper/binding, etc. I find that I'm half way thinking its not going to be very good before I've started!
>>>

I'd say that in more than 50% of the cases, you'll be absolutely correct. Looking for bad art or shoddy production values is a great way to save money, in my opinion. If a publisher is carless about her art, she's probably careless about the quality of the writing and editing, too.

--Erik

EricNoah

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
>>>
If a publisher is carless about her art, she's probably careless about the quality of the writing and editing, too.

I have the same philosophy -- except I look at a publisher's website to judge get an idea of the potential quality of their products.

Mystic Eye

First Post
Speaking of art

Speaking of important art go check out our two new covers for the print versions of Wild Spellcraft and Necomancer's Legacy (The compleat librum of Gar' Udok's necromantic artes).

We also posted a sample map and some art from Urban Blight and some art for Giant Monster Rampage.

Let us know what you think!

The Antra

First Post
First of all, I really hope good art is important, otherwise I'll end with no work! :)

Okay, now seriously, I believe that art may influence people on three different situations:

1 - If the art is crappy, it will shun people away from the book. It will look unprofessional regardless of its contents (and believe me when I say I was impressed with the contents of many "unprofessionaly looking" books). It's sad, but it's the truth when you're dealing with a larger audience.

2 - If the art is good or even excellent, it will add to the decision but it will not make someone buy a book (unless you're an art-freak like me :)). Unfortunately for me and many other freelance artists out there, people don't seem to care so much about who did what and when. If it look good, it's the publisher's duty. If it's bad, it's the publisher's fault. It's very rare to see reviewers mention the art aspects of a book, even more name the artists in question. Only a few reviewers do that, like Psion for instance (and thanks for the nice words again, Alan! :cool: )

3 - If the art is truly amazing (like the spetacular artwork Mr. Toren Macbin Atkison put in Freeport: City of Adventure) it will make people think seriously about acquiring a book, regardless of it's contents. If someone they know said that the book is cool, then that's a deal! In the specific case of Freeport, both the artwork AND the contents are AMAZING. But we all know we've been duped about cool-looking books in the past, right? ;)

Well, that's my two cents. I think art is fundamental to the success of a publisher, even if the consumers themselves don't pay much attention to that. If it's not crappy, it's worth a look.

(I, myself, am an art-freak! I love books with cool covers and artwork. I buy stuff as inspiration and as references. But I'm not the case here... :))

Best,
Marcio Fiorito

P.S.: Doug, the cover for Necromancer's Legacy kicks some MAJOR butt. Who did it? Johneil? (And my piece for Urban Blight doesn't look bad either... ;))

Remove ads