• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E How is PF2E prep and GMing?

Reynard

Legend
I am going to be running PF2E to finally test the system. I am going to start with intermittent tests of combat, etc but once my 5E Avernus campaign finishes I am going to run a regular game for 6 or 8 weeks.

My question is how difficult or easy in preparation for PF2E and how difficult or easy is running the game, primarily in comparison to PF1 (which I ran before 5E came out but found overwhelming both in prep and at the table). Essentially I am trying to decide whether to run published adventures (Plaguestone or Age of Ashes) or run something home brewed which is my preference. I want something kind of sandboxy among other things.

Thanks.

dave2008

Legend
I am going to be running PF2E to finally test the system. I am going to start with intermittent tests of combat, etc but once my 5E Avernus campaign finishes I am going to run a regular game for 6 or 8 weeks.

My question is how difficult or easy in preparation for PF2E and how difficult or easy is running the game, primarily in comparison to PF1 (which I ran before 5E came out but found overwhelming both in prep and at the table). Essentially I am trying to decide whether to run published adventures (Plaguestone or Age of Ashes) or run something home brewed which is my preference. I want something kind of sandboxy among other things.

Thanks.
I think @CapnZapp , @Celtavian , and @Campbell can help you more with this; however, I think it is significantly easier to DM than PF1 and for some it is easier than D&D 5e. Personally, I find all of the rules minutia hard to get a firm grasp of so I don't feel confident DMing yet. But if you are familiar with 3e/PF1 i think that shouldn't be a problem. I hear the encounter building guidelines are very accurate for determining difficulty.

dave2008

Legend
I guess we deserve being reminded with a full MENTION when we haven't replied in all of 22 minutes, eh fellow users-starting-with-a-C? :p
I didn't check to see when it was posted - sorry! I just know you three have been helpful with PF2e items in the past and are more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

PS. Its not a reminder, I'm just point it out in case you miss it ;)

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend

Thanks.
I'd say GM prep is far easier.

Of course, at level 1 the differences aren't that great - every edition of D&D is fast and simple at level 1.

I would say "learning a new game" is the bigger challenge for players as well as the GM.

I would recommend starting off with at least a couple of prepublished encounters, just to make it easy on yourself (but not the players ;) ). Of course, if you feel confident you can handle building your own encounters, go for it. I myself started GMing PF2 using my own encounters (since the Adventure Path I was interested in - Extinction Curse - wasn't yet published). I would stick to existing Bestiary monsters at first, though - once you get a feel for the system, creating your own critters is very much simpler in PF2 than PF1 since monsters don't follow player character chargen rules (somewhat like 5E D&D).

Reynard

Legend
I'd say GM prep is far easier.

Of course, at level 1 the differences aren't that great - every edition of D&D is fast and simple at level 1.

I would say "learning a new game" is the bigger challenge for players as well as the GM.

I would recommend starting off with at least a couple of prepublished encounters, just to make it easy on yourself (but not the players ;) ). Of course, if you feel confident you can handle building your own encounters, go for it. I myself started GMing PF2 using my own encounters (since the Adventure Path I was interested in - Extinction Curse - wasn't yet published). I would stick to existing Bestiary monsters at first, though - once you get a feel for the system, creating your own critters is very much simpler in PF2 than PF1 since monsters don't follow player character chargen rules (somewhat like 5E D&D).
If the CR rules and encounter design system is reliable, I would prefer to roll my own as it were since I have a mini sandbox setting I want to use.

dave2008

Legend
If the CR rules and encounter design system is reliable, I would prefer to roll my own as it were since I have a mini sandbox setting I want to use.
There is no CR, the monsters have levels just like PCs. So a level on monster is roughly = to a lvl 1 PC. At least I think that is correct

Reynard

Legend
There is no CR, the monsters have levels just like PCs. So a level on monster is roughly = to a lvl 1 PC. At least I think that is correct
The actual play experiences thread and other reactions seem to suggest the encounter design guidelines are tight.

Remove ads