• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How is the D&D Boardgame?

Zander

Explorer
I have it and its two expansions. It's a pretty good boardgame.

It's aimed primarily at kids and it is certainly a boardgame. But it has enough RPG elements to make it a handy way of introducing D&D to kids who may find real D&D too complicated and to adults who find the whole idea of RPGs difficult to grasp.

The only downside to this game is that seasoned RPGamers may think it a bit repetitive after a few games. The expansions help to counter this feeling.

Incidentally, the mini of the evil druid in one of the expansions is IMO the best sculpt of a druid since the class was introduced in 1E. It's almost worth getting the expansion just for that mini. :)

GwydapLlew

First Post
Paizo is indeed the only American distributor of the game (and its two expansions). Having played the dickens out of it at both Origins and Gen Con, I can say it's a blast! The rules are simple enough to satisfy, but mimic D&D enough to not send hardcore gamers into a tizzy.

I know that Paizo was running out of supply after Gen Con; if you are interested in purchasing the game and its expansions, I'd suggest heading over to www.paizo.com post-haste and pick it up.

Edit: Paizo currently has it listed as on 'backorder,' which generally means that the product is not immediately available. If it's something you are interested in purchasing (at least in the United States) I would drop Paizo customer service a line to see what informtion they can give you.

Last edited:

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I paid $160 total (including shipping) to get the game and both expansions shipped over from Europe. It's a little frustrating if Paizo has it for less but at least I have the game now.

And yes, it's cool.

MutieMoe

Explorer
I have played couple of games of it, it's ok boardgame, reminds me a lot of old Heroquest, althought I think D&D boardgame is lot more fun and plays faster.

Initiave cards that are drawn when doors are kicked open is one of the game mechanics that really shines.

First missions in the series of the quests included with it (in HQ style questbook) are a bit boring and too easy, but after the introductionary quests are over it gets more interesting.

Winter themed expansion is must get for the dragon alone, because the base game despite the name Dungeons & Dragons is severely lacking in dragons.

At least I have had a blast playing it, it's load of dice-chucking fun.

Red Viper

First Post
What is the exact name of the game. I tried searching this on their site and didn't come up with anything. I thought about getting this for my little sister for christmas who seems interested int eh game, but the rules are a little to complex for her atm.

nevermind i found it.

solkan_uk

First Post
I bought it for the princely sum of £6 from a shop called Booksale, surreally they upped the price to £10 the following week.

It's certainly playable, and I've been playing with Fiancee's nephew (7yrs), and he's been enjoying it.

For a good sorta review, they've got a recording of it being played on www.RPGMP3.com, but it's about 30Mb and 270 minutes long, though if you listen to the initial 30 minutes you'll probably get an idea.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
This all begs the question of why the Dungeon! board game has remained out of print as many years as it has.

If I were to hazard a guess, it's because so many board games are available right now that are similar in concept, and Dungeon! was in serious need of a rules rewrite. But I agree, a new version is LONG OVERDUE.

Remove ads