• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Is This For a Gaming Haul?

Robert Ranting

First Post
My old college gaming club held their annual convention this past weekend, and one of the major events of the con was an auction of various gaming books, most of them with starting bids of $1 or so. Not many people participated, so there wasn't a huge competition, and I made off with a good size stack of RPG material for only $40. The cheapest book was $1.50 and the most expensive book was perhaps $6.

d20/ 3.x stuff:
Advanced Player's Manual (Green Ronin)
Quintessential Cleric (Mongoose)
Q. Druid
Q. Dwarf
Q. Monk
Q. Psychic Warrior
Q. Samurai
Q. Witch
Q. Wizard
Gods (AEG)
Monsters (AEG)

TSR stuff:
Dark Sun Player Aid Cards, The Wanderer's Journal, Out of the Valley, The Road of Fire, Dragon's Crown Mountains (loose, sold as a single lot)
Dark Sun: Dragon Kings supplement
Indiana Jones boxed set (missing rules booklet, contains 1920's sourcebook, DM screen, character sheets etc.)

Other Stand-alone RPG books:
Silver Age Sentinels d20
Brave New World
Changeling 2nd Ed.
Paranoia 2nd Ed.

So how much of this stuff was worth what I paid for it? What is worth reading, and what should be put up on Ebay? I'm especially interested in people's experience with the Mongoose books, since I have heard some bad things about their grasp of d20 design, and whether Silver Age Sentinels is worth trying. Also, is there a place online where I might find conversions for the Dark Sun material to 3.x?

Comments, advice, suggestions?

Robert "The Most Painful Part Was Bringing It Home" Ranting

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Robert Ranting said:
Dark Sun: Dragon Kings supplement

Not a bad book if you like Dark Sun, but they got dumped on the surplus market, so physical value is probably about zero.

Brave New World

I thought it managed to have bad rules, an uninteresting setting, and lousy book design. all in one. If LibraryThing wasn't acting up, I'd point you to my review.

Tewligan

First Post
Robert Ranting said:
Indiana Jones boxed set (missing rules booklet, contains 1920's sourcebook, DM screen, character sheets etc.)
"Okay, everybody have their characters rolled up?"
"Yeah, how do we play?"
"I...don't know."

Dragon Snack

First Post
Nice. Although the Quintessential line are the only books actually outright banned in my gaming group, I'm sure there's some good stuff in there.

I heard good things about Silver Age Sentinels when it first came out, but it never seems to show up on peoples radar when superheroes games get discussed. I don't play superheroes games, so I cant say myself.

The new player in my group picked up the Spell Compendium, Magic of Incarnum, a couple of the Races of ... books, and a third party book for $7 at an auction at one of the local Cons a few weeks back. And all he wanted it for was the Spell Compendium.

I'm kicking myself for not bidding on stuff, because I didn't have time to get to the bank before the auction. I was holding out (with what cash I had) for the 1E Dieties and Demigods (with Lankmar and CoC) that they had. Then they never put it up for auction because too many people had left and they didn't think it would get what it was worth...

Asmor

First Post
Dragon Snack said:
Then they never put it up for auction because too many people had left and they didn't think it would get what it was worth...

Have they never heard of a reserve? Sucks that you didn't get to bid on it man.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The APM has some nice stuff in it. With that and (particularly) a couple of the other things taken into account, I wouldn't say you got ripped off.

Never looked into the Qs in depth. But no doubt there's quite a bit of material among those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads