• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 How is this going to work? BECMI & 3.5 & 4e players all at once?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Personally I would consider the hype met if each different table could use the same monsters and adventure as written.

I do not require that the gritty gang, the Wahoo gang et all play a the same table but if they could all use the same setting, monster or module out of the box as is. That would be pretty awesome.

Imperialus

Explorer
Skills were introduced later on in BECMI, and they were a part of the Cyclopedia. They called them "non-weapon proficiencies" but they were skills. You are correct that they were based on attribute rolls, however.

But I don't see this working. There is a chasm the players have to jump across. The GM says to BECMI player "Okay roll 1d20 under your Str". Player "Okay, my Str is 17, so here goes my 85% chance of success".

Then he says to player 2, Ms. D&D 3.5 "Okay make a Jump Check, DC 20". Player 2 says "Okay, I have +8 to jump, including my 17 Str, so here goes my 45% chance of success."

NWP's were 2nd edition actually.

BECMI called them General Skills.

Also just as a point, BECMI attributes tended to be significantly lower, since you were rolling 3d6 in order.

Jawsh

First Post
My suggestion? Don't read things too literally!

There has been so much... discussion... on ENworld over the years because of people picking through rules text ultra-literally when it wasn't written for that purpose. This is also just someone communicating, not a legal draft.

I wouldn't sweat it, either yourself or on anyone elses behalf!

Cheers

My problem is that if you take only the spirit of the statement, it's vacuous. It's no different from anything they've ever tried to do with any edition.

Basically what they're really saying (ie. not literally) is "we're trying to make a game that, while different from all previous editions, will appeal to some part of each of the players who like different parts of all previous editions."

So essentially, they've said nothing. It's certainly no kind of design philosophy, any more than "make good games" would be a design philosophy.

If this is all they've got for a design philosophy, then they really shouldn't be making a new edition at all. Pick any previous edition, and you can find elements that appeal to players whose preference is a different edition.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Basically what they're really saying (ie. not literally) is "we're trying to make a game that, while different from all previous editions, will appeal to some part of each of the players who like different parts of all previous editions."

So essentially, they've said nothing. It's certainly no kind of design philosophy, any more than "make good games" would be a design philosophy.

If you ignore the extensive discussion of modular design, that might have some merit. But since the modular design has been front and center in a good third to half of the L&L columns over the last year, not to mention the announcement, the "design philosophy" is pretty evident.

erf_beto

First Post
My problem is that if you take only the spirit of the statement, it's vacuous. It's no different from anything they've ever tried to do with any edition.

So essentially, they've said nothing.
Well, that wasn't a Design & Development article, nor a 5e Preview, so I wouldn't be so quick to expect a real discussion of the new system.

Just saying... :hmm:

MrBeens

First Post
My guess is that it's going to be like GURPS.

You have a base system. Look at 3e. Your base class framework (BAB, saves, HP, etc). Basic skills/spells, equipment.

In this book, we'll call it Tome of Sweat (thank you @Dice4Hire ). This is your Gritty Book. It has rules on how to make the game more lethal and gritty, save & die effects, it gives you a formula on having everyone start with reduced HP, on having non-awesome powers, etc.

In this book, we'll call it Book of Awesome. It fits on top of the basic framework to effect classes, and give powers.

Then this book is Book of Combat Expertise. It's a grid-based system (because they are saying the base system will not be on a grid).

Then there's the Book of World-Emulation. This is your simulationist "how many commoners/experts/high level PCs per 1,000 population, thorough NPC creation rules" type of book. Encumbrance rules, indepth craft rules, etc.

A DM may pick up the Book of Sweat and Book of World-Emulation, that goes for his table. Another DM could pick up Book of Awesome and Combat Expertise at his table.

The problem with this is that unless they release all of these modular books at launch, the system isn't going to be everything to everyone.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am guess its something like this:

core mechanics: d20 light, so yes hp, ascending ac, class, race, level...no, I don't expect to see THACO or roll under checks...which I guess could upset some people.

checks: ability checks with optional skills that give some small benefit (this has been gone over in L&L quite a bit)

class and other abilities: You can have a fighter that is simple and is good enough to hold his own or one that is much more customizable and holds his own. Essentials points the way to this, with a trade off of simple boosts to combat for kewl powers.

level tiers: they have hinted at this...for some styles of games, you may just play mostly at lower levels, with some complexity or options more geared towards higher levels (again, see kewl powers) .

DMs DM....: How are monster and NPCs built...the way the DM wants to, and you will thank him and ask for more as they kick your players...or what I mean to say is that they will work very hard to make this easy for the DM, but if that DM wants to make life hard for himself, he will have lots of options as well.

Rechan

Adventurer
The problem with this is that unless they release all of these modular books at launch, the system isn't going to be everything to everyone.
They didn't say it would be everything to everyone at launch either.

There is no way they can give everyone everything they want and do it in one book.

Filcher

First Post
I want to be hopeful, but I can only imagine a gray goop that serves all but excites none.

Hrm. Not trying to thread crap. I want to believe they can pull this off, but it seems impossible to do well.

Edit: Heh. But since they own all the original art, each "layered" section could have era-appropriate art. Erol Otus for the basic, Elmore and Easley for the "expert," etc.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads