• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long do you spend preparing a game?

How many hours do you spend preparing for each session?

• 0-1

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • 1-2

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • 3-4

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • 5-6

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • 7-8

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 9-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10+

Votes: 9 9.5%

fba827

Adventurer
we play a very player-driven style campaign, so rarely do i know what they'll do next unless we were fortunate enough to end the previous session at a spot that strongly suggested some particular course of action.

If I know what's going to happen (or at least a close approximation) it takes me less than an hour to prepare. But when I don't have any idea and I need to prepare multiple contingencies as well as a "catch all back up" then it takes me about 3-4 hours to determine plot lines and responses from key npcs and so on.

Montague68

First Post
Thanks to the Dungeon, the D&D Compendium, and the fairly streamlined nature of 4e in general, I spend less than 2 hours prepping for a 5 hour session.

As someone who has run RPGs for over 20 years, this is the new Golden Age.

Pretty much this for me. I have about 3-4 hours of prep work simply because my group likes to play for 8-10 hours every week. I wouldn't have the time to do this for a 3.5 game past 10th level or so.

weem

First Post
About 10-12 hours approx. (for 4th Ed)

That seems like a lot I'm sure, but most of that is not encounters, etc - it's me sitting around writing notes, coming up with ideas, being creative, etc. My games happen on Saturday mornings AND they tend to run about 7-8 hours - so Friday's (I have off) are usually spent from morning till evening working on the game for the next day.

Halivar

First Post
I ruminate over the night's adventure all week. During work, during WOW, during dinner. About 15 minutes before gaming, I log into DDI and collect the monsters I need, reflavoring as necessary. Most of that time is spent on paragraph formatting.

Remove ads