• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Long is Too Long?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I know, as a measure of coutesy and forum rules, that we are asked to stay on-topic in a thread. But what constitutes off-topic-ness? If a discussion naturally spawns questions that aren't directly related to the original topic, have we really gone off-topic? When does a series of side questions become enough to warrant a brand new thread? Where is the balancing line between trying to keep the boards from being cluttered with topics that don't deserve their own thread and keeping a thread from being cluttered with side questions?

I am often told that I'm veering off-topic, but the sidebar that has usually triggered the scolding doesn't usually seem to me to be worthy of its own thread, but still worth discussing in the context of the current thread. Of course if the scolding comes from a mod, then I know that I've veered too far. I'm curious to hear what others think about this, especially any moderator feedback.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's no "rule"; how could there be? Are you asking for a figure like "7.9 degrees off topic is fine, but 8 degress is not"? :)

It's just one of those things where we all have to use common sense. Generally speaking we don't moderate threads based on whether people are on topic or not, although there may be the occasional rare exception. We're far more concerned about rudeness than about managing conversations.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My personal rules for when it's okay to post entirely off topic:

1/ If there was a question in the first post, has it NOT been answered to my satisfaction?

2/ Is there an interesting ongoing discussion?

If either of the above hold true, I endeavor to at least also contribute some on-topic in addition to whatever off-topic I wanted to post. But if neither is true -- a question thread which has received a good answer, for example -- then IMHO it's not harmful to post off-topic stuff.

For instance, now that your question has been answered (to my satisfaction), I'm free to disco.

"Stayin' alive, stayin' alive, whoo-oo-ooo-oo", -- N

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For instance, now that your question has been answered (to my satisfaction), I'm free to disco.

"Stayin' alive, stayin' alive, whoo-oo-ooo-oo", -- N

Just, please, not on roller skates. We're trying to run a family joint here...

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
There's no "rule"; how could there be? Are you asking for a figure like "7.9 degrees off topic is fine, but 8 degress is not"? :)

It's just one of those things where we all have to use common sense.

I know there can't be a hard and fast rule. I'm just starting an open discussion to gauge where common sense on off-topic-ness and starting new threads lies. By my measure, at times, I don't feel like I've taken a side-conversation in a thread too far, but I get responses anywhere from a polite "could we please get back on-topic" to a rude "get out of my thread!" So, either I have no common sense (as evidenced by me leaving myself wide open for a joke here) or some people are too quick to jump down others throats for having a related side conversation.

gill_smoke

First Post
irony

Umm, did you not notice people trying to thread-jack after the answer?

I think they were trying to prove your point for you.

Now Where is Goldmember?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know there can't be a hard and fast rule. I'm just starting an open discussion to gauge where common sense on off-topic-ness and starting new threads lies. By my measure, at times, I don't feel like I've taken a side-conversation in a thread too far, but I get responses anywhere from a polite "could we please get back on-topic" to a rude "get out of my thread!"

Well, the moderation staff doesn't really recognize much in the way of thread ownership.

However, as a guide for being nice to your fellow posters, consider this - is your sideline taking up enough posts that one has to start "weeding through" posts to find the ones on the original topic? If folks only have to skip over a post here or there to read the on-topic stuff, you're probably fine. If they have to sort out who is talking about what, you're probably taking up a bit too much space in the original thread, and you'd probably want to fork.

Mind you, sometimes the entire thread drifts off the original topic. So long as that's not in the way of anyone trying to discuss the original topic, we dont' see that as problematic.

Remove ads